[comp.sys.mac.misc] A way to prevent launching apps from server ??

CRANER@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (09/08/90)

Is there any way to prevent applications from being launched from an
AppleShare volume? I know this sound backwards, but the volume in question is
a disk of PD/Shareware that we would like people to be able to copy, but not
run from the server disk.

Thanks,
=
= Richard S. Crane
=                           InterNet: craner@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu
= BITNET:  CRANER@YALEVM   QuickMail: Richard_Crane.MCSC@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu
====================

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (09/12/90)

RANER@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu writes:
>Is there any way to prevent applications from being launched from an
>AppleShare volume? I know this sound backwards, but the volume in question is
>a disk of PD/Shareware that we would like people to be able to copy, but not
>run from the server disk.

Compressing all of the applications with a program such as Stuffit is one way
to do this.  Leave an uncompressed copy of Unstuffit on the server so that
people can decode the files and save them on their disks.  In addition to
preventing people from launching any applications from the server (with the
exception of the Unstuffer), this also reduces the amount of traffic on the
server by making all of the files smaller.

Lawrence Miller