[comp.sys.mac.misc] PC to SCSI connections?

nmje@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (Michael Elphick) (09/07/90)

    An acquaintance possesses both a Mac SE system (SE/30 with a GCC
 laser printer) and an Amstrad 286 PC-compatible.  His problem is that
 the laser printer is ONLY provided with a SCSI interface, and he would
 like to use it with the PC-compatible (which of course has only the
 usual serial and parallel ports).  Is there any solution based on some
 kind of interface converter, assuming that an appropriate driver can be
 found (or bought with such a converter)?  He would be willing to pay a
 few (i.e.  up to two or three) hundred pounds (or dollars).

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) (09/08/90)

nmje@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (Michael Elphick) writes:

>    An acquaintance possesses both a Mac SE system (SE/30 with a GCC
> laser printer) and an Amstrad 286 PC-compatible.  His problem is that
> the laser printer is ONLY provided with a SCSI interface, and he would
> like to use it with the PC-compatible (which of course has only the
> usual serial and parallel ports).  Is there any solution based on some
> kind of interface converter, assuming that an appropriate driver can be
> found (or bought with such a converter)?  He would be willing to pay a
> few (i.e.  up to two or three) hundred pounds (or dollars).

There are lots of SCSI host adapters for PClones.  Adaptec, Seagate,
and Western Digital (I think  ;{) all make them.  Now software to drive
a printer might be a bit more of a problem...
--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep8.060950.25983@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) writes:
>nmje@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (Michael Elphick) writes:
>

>>    An acquaintance possesses both a Mac SE system (SE/30 with a GCC
>> laser printer) and an Amstrad 286 PC-compatible.  His problem is that
>> the laser printer is ONLY provided with a SCSI interface, and he would
>> like to use it with the PC-compatible (which of course has only the
>> usual serial and parallel ports).  Is there any solution based on some
>> kind of interface converter, assuming that an appropriate driver can be
>> found (or bought with such a converter)?  He would be willing to pay a
>> few (i.e.  up to two or three) hundred pounds (or dollars).
>
>There are lots of SCSI host adapters for PClones.  Adaptec, Seagate,
>and Western Digital (I think  ;{) all make them.  Now software to drive
>a printer might be a bit more of a problem...

Oops, I think we're on the wrong track here. I think the SCSI interface
on the laser printer would be for attaching a hard drive, wouldn't it,
and the printing would actually be done through the AppleTalk connection.
If I'm right on that, what you want for connecting your PC to the laser
printer is an AppleTalk card such as that made by TOPS, or Apple or
a lesser known clone of these. We use TOPS FlashCards and the TOPS/DOS 3.0
software which takes care of sending PostScript output to the printer.

Dana Keil
dana@are.berkeley.edu

(Now how many lines do I have to add before it
won't reject this posting??)

Have a nice day

nmje@colman.newcastle.ac.uk (Michael Elphick) (09/12/90)

In article <38685@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:

>Oops, I think we're on the wrong track here. I think the SCSI interface
>on the laser printer would be for attaching a hard drive, wouldn't it,
>and the printing would actually be done through the AppleTalk connection.
>If I'm right on that, what you want for connecting your PC to the laser
>printer is an AppleTalk card such as that made by TOPS, or Apple or
>a lesser known clone of these. We use TOPS FlashCards and the TOPS/DOS 3.0
>software which takes care of sending PostScript output to the printer.

No -- the AppleTalk connection is NOT present on this printer (presumably
to simplify the design?); it's a relatively cheap 'Personal Laser Printer'.
One comment from a local source was that "the SCSI interface operates at a
higher level than other parallel printer interfaces, and that this might
be a major source of problems".