[comp.sys.mac.misc] INDISPENSIBLE INITs and CDEVs

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (09/06/90)

We all have them. We all rely on them. There are some INITs and CDEVs
that we just cannot live without. I'd like to see what people use, what
they feel are ABSOLUTELY INDESPENSIBLE when
they use their Mac. These have to be SOOOOOOO important and invaluable that
you should be able to limit your list to five even if your icons
go all the way across the screen of your 21" monitor ;-). So, to get things
rolling, here's my list in no particular order:

OnCue		Application launching utility that sits in the menu bar
SuperClock!	I just HAVE to know what time it is...
Windowshade	Double click on any window title bar and the window,
		except for the title bar, disappears. Amazing...
Boomerang	Nifty addition to the SFGet dialog box.
ATM		How did we EVER live without this one?

Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST Bitnet Address

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (09/07/90)

From article <10065.26e62394@amherst.bitnet>, by ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet:
> There are some INITs and CDEVs that we just cannot live without.

> OnCue		Application launching utility that sits in the menu bar
> SuperClock!	I just HAVE to know what time it is...
> Windowshade	Double click on any window title bar and the window,
> 		except for the title bar, disappears. Amazing...
> Boomerang	Nifty addition to the SFGet dialog box.
> ATM		How did we EVER live without this one?

I need only two. (I do use more for mail, reminders, etc.)

After Dark        A Screen Saver (any will do)
Disinfectant INIT It is sad, but one needs to watch out for viruses.

--
William C. DenBesten   is   denbeste@bgsu.edu  or   denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

stanbach@Apple.COM (Francis Stanbach) (09/07/90)

In article <6221@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>From article <10065.26e62394@amherst.bitnet>, by ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet:
>> There are some INITs and CDEVs that we just cannot live without.
>
>I need only two. (I do use more for mail, reminders, etc.)
>
>After Dark        A Screen Saver (any will do)
>Disinfectant INIT It is sad, but one needs to watch out for viruses.

Absolutely essential...

Ed (not)	turns off the scroll speed delay introduced in 6.0.5

Francis
--
wmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwm
Francis Stanbach                          Finder Engineer Apple Computer, Inc.

meldal@bach.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (09/07/90)

I'll cheat. The line between inits as system add-ons and inits that
are properly part of the system is not clear to me. E.g. AppleShare is
absolutely essential to me, since I use a UNIX box as a file server,
but I do not think that the original query was after that kind of
thing?

So - I'll make a list of nifty inits I cannot live without,
disregarding those that are part of a program package or come with the
system.

5 nifty inits I would not want to live without:
Boomerang	(addition to SFGet dialog. A new, improved version has
		been sent to registered users).
AltCDEF		Gives me both up and down arrows on either end of the
		elevator in all windows.
Quickeys	Binds functions (such as menu items, buttons, etc.) to
		keys.
Suitcase	Allows dynamic opening and closing of font, da and
		sound files.
ATM		Adobe Type Manager. Renders beautiful bitmap fonts in all sizes
		for postscript fonts. Necessary to make my DeskWriter
		function well.

Plus a pair that everyone should have:
Gatekeeper and Gatekeeper Aid	Virus protection

Let me briefly comment on the choices of the initiator of the list:
In article <10065.26e62394@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>OnCue		Application launching utility that sits in the menu bar

I let Launch do that for me - it offers me an icon docket in
application (rather than init) form. Together with Quickeys it give me
keyboard launch capability.

>SuperClock!	I just HAVE to know what time it is...

I use TimeKeeper, a clock application. Much prettier, and does not
mess with the menu bar.

Sigurd

--
Hard mail:
 ERL 456              | Internet:  meldal@anna.stanford.edu

phone: +1 415 723 6027
fax:   +1 415 725 7398

dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) (09/07/90)

In article <10091@goofy.Apple.COM> stanbach@Apple.COM (Francis Stanbach)
writes:
> Absolutely essential...
>
> Ed (not)        turns off the scroll speed delay introduced in 6.0.5

Frank, Frank, Frank...I am disappointed in you.

The only INIT that is Absolutely essential (if you are a programmer) to
have on your machine is Programmer's Key.  If you do NOT have it on your
machine, any other programmer attempting to use your machine will machine
gun you down when she needs to go into Macsbug.

I have only Programmer's Key and Programmers Online Companion on my
development machine.  I'd love to get rid of the later if I had something
to replace it, but I can't live without it.

Remember, he who dies with the least INITs in his system folder, wins.

 Tom Dowdy                 Internet:  dowdy@apple.COM
 Apple Computer MS:81EQ    UUCP:      {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
 20525 Mariani Ave         AppleLink: DOWDY1
 Cupertino, CA 95014
 "The 'Ooh-Ah' Bird is so called because it lays square eggs."

chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) (09/08/90)

dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) writes:

>Remember, he who dies with the least INITs in his system folder, wins.

Then I'm in trouble. I'm rapidly approaching "iconwrap critical" on my two
page display.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small, small world!

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/08/90)

Here's my short list:

Moire - screen saver, menu clock
Gimme Back SysBeep - nukes the Sound Manager hooks into SysBeep on older macs;
	the Sound Manager wastes entirely too much time when it beeps
ATM - [We sure are getting nifty software out of Adobe since Apple abandoned
	ship.  Coincidence?  I doubt it...]
AppleShare
MacTCP

My development system has one or two other inits, but that's all; every init
adds to boot time, and programming this no-memory-protection beast means
LOTS of reboots...
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (09/08/90)

In article <10091@goofy.Apple.COM> stanbach@Apple.COM (Francis Stanbach) writes:

>Absolutely essential...
>
>Ed (not)	turns off the scroll speed delay introduced in 6.0.5
>
>Francis

That "Ed (not)" sounds like one for sure!  I've not (yet) seen any mention of
these puppies:

Suitcase II		system extender extraordinaire
GateKeeper/GK. Aid  	virus stoppers (extraorinaire)
Kolor/ColorFinder	borderline-essential Mac II colorizers

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)
					  (malczews@nunki.usc.edu)

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (09/08/90)

>OnCue		Application launching utility that sits in the menu bar
>SuperClock!	I just HAVE to know what time it is...
>Windowshade	Double click on any window title bar and the window,
>		except for the title bar, disappears. Amazing...
>Boomerang	Nifty addition to the SFGet dialog box.
>ATM		How did we EVER live without this one?

Also,

wrap
EZ-Menu
Suitcase
  or
MasterJuggler
HandOff II

Ray

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (09/08/90)

Here are the absolutely indispensible ones. Five ONLY? Impossible!
I actually use 40.

Boomerang      If you don't use it, you're wasting lots of time.
DiskDoubler    Speedy file compression utility with the slickest user
               interface of any compression tool on any machine.
DiskTop        File management and more. Much faster than MultiFinder
Coach Pro      Any other spell checker is a nuisance.
IconIt!        Lets me create button bars in any application (incl.
               Finder). Much faster than pulling down hierarchical menus.
OnCue          I might replace this with HandOff II soon.
OnLocation     Nothing finds files by name or content as rapidly.
QuicKeys       It's macros save me lots of time.
SmartAlarms    Without it, I would forget too many things.
Suitcase II    How else could I manage those 42 no-nonsense DAs that I
               use all the time, plus those that I need occasionally.
SUM Shield     It's there when I need to recover a deleted file in a
               hurry.
Tops Spool     Faster, less intrusive, less memory hungry, much more
               reliable than Backgrounder.

Of course, I also depend on
    MacTCP and
    AppleShare,
but I consider those part of the System software.
I found CClock (application) to be a better alternative to SuperClock. It
also shows me how much memory (largest free block) I've got left, and it lets me select a font size that I can read from across the room.

And possibly the most vital INIT of them all, not because I need it, but because of those sick minds out there:
    Disinfectant INIT

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (09/08/90)

>> Remember, he who dies with the least INITs in his system folder, wins.

You got that backwards...  He who dies with the -most- INITs in his system
folder (all operating well together), really wins!!!

In article <10092@goofy.Apple.COM> dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) writes:

>Remember, he who dies with the least INITs in his system folder, wins.
In that case, you need a custom init and a little hardware device... when it
detects your impending death, it nukes all the INITs in the system folder.

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (Joe Houghtaling) (09/08/90)

Here's my 2c worth:

ESSENTIAL:

Gatekeeper & Gatekeeper Aid: indespensible virus protection, especially if
   you do any programming.  (I got tired of Vaccine complaining every time
   I fired up Think C!)

After Dark:  my fave for screen saver.  Love the flying toasters!

Disktop:  still provides many services I don't get from the Finder

Programmer's Key:  beats reaching around the side of the machine

Suitcase II:  keeps my DAs and Fonts organized

Smart Quotes:  even tho MS Word 4 has this feature, I still like SS's dash
   conversion and typing correction facility.

Boomerang:  a must have for getting around those SF dialogs.

NICE, BUT NOT SO ESSENTIAL:

Logout:  just in case you're curious about how much time you spend staring at
   the screen.

PopChar:  you _can_ use KeyCaps, but this is so much handier for finding that
   trademark symbol.

Temperament 2:  if you use Word, this kills all those 'Word Temp' files that
   the program leaves lying around.

STUFF TO KEEP YOUR INITS AND CDEVS ORDERLY:

Icon Wrap:  keeps those INIT icons from marching off the end of the screen
   at startup

init cdev:  there _are_ commercial products with more bells and whistles, but
   this gets the basic job done (and well) and you can't beat the price (a
   postcard from your home to Australia!)

Transform:  problem with init cdev is that the Finder will 'lose' the icon of
   an INIT that's bypassed by 'init cdev'.  Transform re-instates the icon.

Looking forward to seeing what other folks find indespensible.

j.

| joe houghtaling        | "In my opinion television | computer science dept.|
| jh0576@leah.albany.edu |  validates existence."    | suny at albany        |
|                        |                -calvin    | albany, ny 12222 usa  |

kjp@ecn.purdue.edu (Kevin J Podsiadlik) (09/08/90)

In article <10065.26e62394@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>We all have them. We all rely on them. There are some INITs and CDEVs
>that we just cannot live without. I'd like to see what people use, what
>they feel are ABSOLUTELY INDESPENSIBLE when
>they use their Mac. These have to be SOOOOOOO important and invaluable that
>you should be able to limit your list to five

My five (not a whole lot of originality):

QuicKeys -- how _did_ I get along without it?!
Suitcase II -- good to have all those DAs handy.
SuperClock! -- the Cadillac of on-screen clocks.
DFaultD -- I know, everyone is mentioning Boomerang.  Guess I'm just the kind
           of guy who deliberately tries to pick Coke in the Pepsi Challenge.
SAM Intercept -- More sensitive than Vaccine, less unilateral than Gatekeeper.

Kevin Podsiadlik                                          "6. A screensaver,
kjp@en.ecn.purdue.edu                    when I find one that won't crash..."

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (09/08/90)

INITPicker   -> to help keep track of the INITs & cdevs
Suitcase II  -> Can't imagine the Mac without loads of fonts, DAs, sounds,
                and a few FKEYs.
Pyro 4.0     -> Entertains passers-by when I'm not busy on my Mac.  Oh, yeah,
                saves the screen from burn-out at the same time.
DFaultD      -> Does the stuff that most people pick Boomerang for.  This
                is the shareware version (which is no longer available).
                A commercial version is part of "Now Utilities".
Lookup INIT  -> (& matching DA) Spelling checker, checks as I type, or
                the DA can be called up to check a single word.
Findswell    -> Another helpful option for the SF dialog.  Useful when you
                know the name (or part of the name) of a file, but can't
                remember where that file is.
PopChar CDEV -> Makes it trivial to find the character you're looking for
                in the font that's currently active.  Great price too.
Windowshade  -> Allows one to make the contents of a window disappear so
                you can see (and click on) whatever windows are behind it.
                This is still useful even though I have the Set-Aside
                feature of multifinder.  Great price too (ie, free).
SuperClock   -> Like this a lot, although it seems to cause problems in a
                few oddball situations.

Well, there's more of course.  All the inits and cdevs I have are pretty
useful, or I wouldn't have them in there in the first place!  But these
are the ones that are important enough that I have them both at work and
at home.  And of course there's things like MacTCP, TMON, CD-ROM related
INITs, etc, etc.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (09/08/90)

In article <10065.26e62394@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>We all have them. We all rely on them. There are some INITs and CDEVs
>that we just cannot live without. I'd like to see what people use, what

Try the following:

InitCDEV	Turns inits off and on without removing/replacing them
		in the system folder

SuitcaseII	supports limitless (for all intents and purposes :-) fonts,
		DAs, fkeys, sounds.

Reminder	Reminds people that they forgot something :-)

The reason that I like the first two is that the third wish to the proverbial
three wishes should always be a wish for three more :-). These two inits help
me to accomplish that!

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (09/09/90)

Indispensible INITs and CDEV's, huh....

Not many for me, actually.  Here's the list I would scream without....

Suitcase II       -- mostly for fonts, not DA's
SuperClock!       -- small, pretty; doesn't take up screen real estate
Disinfectant INIT -- sad, but true:  there are twisted people out there
Shield INIT       -- hard disk protection from the Symantec Utilities

Boomerang?  I guess this is one of those "you don't know you need it
until after you've been using it a while" beasts.  I don't use it,
since I crash my machine often enough without it, so I don't need it.

-------
Christopher Tate                      |                      etaT rehpotsirhC
Bitnet: cxt105@psuvm                  |                  mvusp@501txc :tentiB
Uucp: ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105 | 501txc!tentib.mvusp!1xavusp!... :pcuU
Internet: cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu        |        ude.usp.mvusp@501txc :tenretnI

FlashsMom@cup.portal.com (NancyAnn none Sheridan) (09/09/90)

Can I count Little Beeper [randomizes and asynchronizes your beeps]
and Cmdr. Dialog [lets you copy & paste anywhere, even dialogs]
as one, since they're both by Andrew Welch?
---
72540.1731@CompuServe.Com
Flash@Dcjcon.Das.Net
FlaSheridn on America OnLine
FlashsMom@Cup.Portal.Com

Here's my list:

init cdev		Gotta be able to turn them off.
MaxAppleZoom		I'm a glutton for screen space
Dimmer			Screen saver that interferes with nothing.
Font/DA Juggler		I'm a DA maniac.
MenuClock		No-frills clock
Programmer's Key	Easier than the interrupt button

Dispensable INITs:
Gatekeeper		Viruses: Never had one yet.
Desktop Mgr		Slight performance improvement.
MFMenu			Extra menu of applications (patched for 6.1b9)

All the rest are hardware support (CD-Rom), or server support (TOPS, SoftTalk,
etc)

bell@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Mike Bell) (09/10/90)

In article <10091@goofy.Apple.COM> stanbach@Apple.COM (Francis Stanbach) writes:
>In article <6221@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>>From article <10065.26e62394@amherst.bitnet>, by ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet:
>>> There are some INITs and CDEVs that we just cannot live without.
>>

>Absolutely essential...
>
>Ed (not)	turns off the scroll speed delay introduced in 6.0.5
>
>Francis
>--
>wmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwm
>Francis Stanbach                          Finder Engineer Apple Computer, Inc.
>wmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwm

   Where can we get it ?????

		Mike Bell

Mike Bell                                Internet: mike_bell@zip.ei.dupont.com
Senior Engineer                          CSNet: BELLMA%ERVX01@dupont.com
DuPont Electronic Imaging 		 Applelink: D2747
Core Technology Group

    MacBLITZ..... When you feel the need for speed..........

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (09/10/90)

This is fun!  Here's my list:

 Essential:

    Virex INIT 1.8
	I haven't tried that many different anti-virus programs because
	once I got Virex, I realized that I didn't need to continue
	the quest.  This has saved me a NUMBER of times from viruses,
	even from commercial disks!

    After Dark 2.0
	What can I say that I haven't already said about this super nifty
	screen saver program from Berkeley Systems.  Kicks ass over Pyro
	(though no dogcow, alas) and I like it a lot.

    Hand Off II
	Even better than the previous version, Hand Off II allows me to
	bind specific apps to file types independent of what the Mac
	thinks is appropriate, and also (HURRAH) gets rid of those
	annoying "app not found" errors.

 Aumsing, fun or useful:

    Super Clock!
	Always nice to know the time...

    Webster's Electronic Dictionary
	Look up words for spelling and definition.

    Mouse Odometer INIT
	Fun stuff; how far does your mouse travel each day?

Plus the usual support for CD-ROM, etc.

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) (09/10/90)

I haven't seen anyone mention this:

   InUse init:  I have a non-apple internal hard drive, plus
                two internal FDHD floppy drives in my SE.  There
                is no room for an LED indicator light, but "InUse"
                simulates the flashing LED by flashing a small block
                in the upper left corner of my screen.

Indispensible for me!!!

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

nick@frinton.cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (09/10/90)

In article <44610@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) writes:
|>dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) writes:
|>
|>>Remember, he who dies with the least INITs in his system folder, wins.
|>
|>Then I'm in trouble. I'm rapidly approaching "iconwrap critical" on my two
|>page display.

If you're hitting the right-hand edge, you're probably on a par with me
(about 2 rows on my SE/30). If you're wrapping round and are hitting
the TOP of the screen, then you've got a serious addiction :-)

|>Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
 "Now remember - and this is most important - you must think in Russian."

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (09/10/90)

 I have noticed ever since I got the IIfx that a Hypercard stack will not
 recognize its application unless a folder is oipen on the disk top with
 Hypercard in it. For example, I cannot double click on a stack in a CD
 and get it to start unless I have by Hypercard folder on the hard disk open.

 It's me, right?

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (09/11/90)

Hard to limit it to five, but these are the ones you can take when you pry
them from my cold, dead fingers.

Boomerang
QuicKeys
Alarming Events
Disinfectant
Suitcase II

David Gutierrez
an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) (09/11/90)

Here's my list of indispensible INITs & CDEVs...

init cdev 3.0 - a VERY useful tool, great implementation, and only costs a
		postcard. (NOTE: I think it is REALLY LOUSY that of the tens
		of thousands of Mac users using this cdev, the number of
		postcards is very small. This really shows how lousy many
		human beings are - even Macintosh people)

SUM Shield    - it has been great to be able to recover deleted files,
		especially newly downloaded files, that wouldn't be backed up
		until the end of the day.

Fortune II    - I just LOVE fortune cookies...

SunDesk 1.1   - put some real COLOUR back into your Mac II

Boomerang     - bouncing around frequently used folders and files is GREAT.

Desktop Mgr   - I'm not the only one who HATES waiting two hours to copy a file

Dimmer        - Yeah, I know After Dark is great, but for simple, unimposing
		no-nonsense screen saving, this baby does it well.

Smart Alarms  - This keeps my head on straight. Reminds me to do many things.

SFScrollInit  - Andy Herzfeld came back to Australia and see us some time!

ATM           - Great fonts on a great HP DeskWriter

SuperLaserSpool - Great spooling program

Suitcase II   - gimme more sounds, DAs, Fonts, FKEYs, now, mister. Great!

SuperClock    - very stable program. Nice work.

SCSI Probe    - great for mounting hard disks after the mac has been booted

SO, there it is. At the moment, my inits' icons take up two strips of the 13"
screen.

| Jason Haines, Vice-President                                                |
| Club Mac - Australia's Largest Macintosh Users Group                        |
| G.P.O. Box 4523, Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA, 2001                   |
| INTERNET:clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au  UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!clubmac |
| ACSNet:  clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz                                            |
| Phone: (02) 743-6929                            Club Mac BBS: (02) 907-9198 |
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ |
| "If that was his face, then he has a huge cleft in his chin" - Agent 86     |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu (09/12/90)

KeyMenu - run the menus with the Keyboard (Just like MS word) free!
Dialog Keys - use the keyboard to answer yes,no,cancel dialogs etc.
FreshStart - lets you manage all your INITS, CDEVs, Startup Apps, & Multifinder
MultiClip - Extreemly powerful scrapbook,clipboard management utility.

these are a few additional ones to those listed so far that are on my bare
minimum list.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah

kreme@nyx.UUCP (Avatar) (09/13/90)

In article <4096@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>Hard to limit it to five, but these are the ones you can take when you pry
>them from my cold, dead fingers.

Excuse my total ignoarance, but I am less than a month into the Mac world and
I need to ask some rather simple questions...

>Boomerang

What is Boomerang.  I have a packed copy of it on the HD, but haven't gotten
around to seeing what it is yet...

>QuicKeys
>Alarming Events
>Disinfectant

We have Virex.  Is this bad?  Is disinfectant better?  I always run it as soon
as I unpack any exectuable files that I get off the local boards.  Since that's
the only way software is coming in, I figure I'm pretty safe.  Paranoid enough
to run the few comercial disks through once though...

>Suitcase II

Is this a INIT switcher?  Is it fairly good?  I keep having troubles with
Beyond Dark Castle (One of two comercial games).  It hates Multifinder and it
gags on any INITS.  Really obnoxious.