[comp.sys.mac.misc] init contest

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (09/12/90)

In article <318@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:
}In article <44610@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) writes:
}|>dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) writes:
}|>
}|>>Remember, he who dies with the least INITs in his system folder, wins.
}|>
}|>Then I'm in trouble. I'm rapidly approaching "iconwrap critical" on my two
}|>page display.
}
}If you're hitting the right-hand edge, you're probably on a par with me
}(about 2 rows on my SE/30). If you're wrapping round and are hitting
}the TOP of the screen, then you've got a serious addiction :-)

Ok, it's time for a contest.  Who has the most inits that live happily
together?  Since this is my contest, I get to write the rules, and I'm
going to define it by number of start-up icons.  Any init that doesn't
produce a start-up icon is obviously a Communist plot anyway, so they
shouldn't count.

Since there are no prizes for the winners, there should be no ballot-box
stuffing.  By that I mean no one should be tempted to load up on harmless
and useless inits.  Let's stick to the way you normally run your machine.
On second thought, those who wish to experiment and further man's quest
for knowledge should be encouraged, so let's have one category for "most
inits used on a day-to-day basis" and a second category for "maximum number
of inits ever seen by man".

I currently count 20 icons, but that's only about one and a half rows on
a standard screen, so I'm pretty sure that Chuq and Nick have me beat.

Remember, it only counts if the machine is actually usable.

--James Preston

awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (09/12/90)

It is going to be kind of hard to compete when not every init/cdev/rdev uses
the ShowInit code to display its icon.  (I mention this because even with
IconWrap, those of us with Plus/SE/SE30s can't confirm the numberof icons.)

The contest is interesting anyway.  I've got a whole folder of inits that mess
up the interface, and I'm curious to see if they'll all run together.

One way to test would be to use Mug Shot to dump a config listing.  That would
confirm the machine was running.

barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (09/13/90)

In article <2122@key.COM> jsp@penguin.key.COM (James Preston) writes:
>Ok, it's time for a contest.  Who has the most inits that live happily
>together?

>I currently count 20 icons, but that's only about one and a half rows on
>a standard screen, so I'm pretty sure that Chuq and Nick have me beat.

>Remember, it only counts if the machine is actually usable.

One of the Mac Sysadmins at my high school was INIT-happy.  Boot time
on his Mac II was AT LEAST five minutes and the icons on his 13" color
screen went on for, I swear, three and a half lines.  They all peacefully
coexisted and he had the most jazzed-up (albiet useless to use if you're
in a hurry to get started) Mac I had ever seen.  You name it, he had it:
BackDrop, Kolor, OnCue, Animated Cursor, After Dark, Suitcase, TOPS,
hierDA, GateKeeper, Fortune, Super Clock, etc.

Don't even ask about the number of fonts and DAs...

--
Barry E. Brown        --        \  Cal-Animage Beta publicity officer
bebrown@ucsd.{edu,uucp,bitnet}   \   Anime Stuff FTP Server administrator