[comp.sys.mac.misc] Re^2: Floppy Disk Repair

phil@waikato.ac.nz (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.085000.2805@csc.anu.oz.au>, ndg503@csc.anu.oz.au writes:
> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes
>
>>Today I was lucky enough to get the "This disk is damaged" message
>>on a VERY important floppy (figures that I do not have a backup).
>>I tried to use Disk First Aid to fix it, but it did not work.  The
>>title of the floppy comes on the screen and then I get the dreaded
>>error message.  Is there a program somewhere out in netland that
>>is more dilligent about trying to repair a corrupt disk than
>>Disk First Aid?

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Chris
>
>   We have invested in a number of different recovery programs. At
> present I feel that 1st Aid HFS 2.82 from 1st Aid Development Inc.
> seems to do the trick for floppies the best. Both Sum II and MacTools
> Deluxe haven't quite come up to scratch for us. I will admit that I
> haven't done all the tests to prove this, but we have had numerous
> occasions where extra files have been recovered when using 1st Aid
> HFS.
>   You must remember that when you get this message of damaged disk
> that you should immediately lock your disk to protect it from
> further damage. In fact 1st Aid HFS won't do any work on the disk
> unless it is locked.

Often it is sector 2 on the floppy that is damaged.  You can use FEdit+, SUM
Tools, Mac Tools or similar to put a copy of sector 1598 into sector 2.  Sector
1598 is a copy of sector 2 (I'm not sure how up to date it is, but it doesn't
matter).  After that Disk First Aid can repair the disk (if sector 2 was the
problem).  This works in something like 80% of cases.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /