[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple cuts prices on IIci

sapienza@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael A. Sapienza) (09/08/90)

I was reading the weekend copy of the USA Today and there was a little tiny
article in the money section about Apple.  It said "Apple Computer eased
1/4 to $35 3/4.  The computer maker slashed prices on its Macintosh IIci
personal computer models by up to 20%."  My roommate also said that there
was a larger article in the Wall Street Journal about it.  Anybody know
anything about these cuts?  Apple are you listening?

Mike

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (09/11/90)

In article <6224@bgsuvax.UUCP> sapienza@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael A. Sapienza)
writes:
> I was reading the weekend copy of the USA Today and there was a little
tiny
> article in the money section about Apple.  It said "Apple Computer eased
> 1/4 to $35 3/4.  The computer maker slashed prices on its Macintosh IIci
> personal computer models by up to 20%."  My roommate also said that there
> was a larger article in the Wall Street Journal about it.  Anybody know
> anything about these cuts?  Apple are you listening?

Of course we're listening. :-) Here's the text of the press release:

Apple Computer's USA Division Drops Price of
the High Performance Macintosh IIci by $1,500

Cupertino, California, September 6, 1990 -- Meeting customer demand for
higher
performance systems at lower prices, Apple Computer, Inc.'s USA Division
announced price reductions of up to 20 percent on all models of its high
performance Macintosh IIci personal computer.
     The Macintosh IIci derives its high performance from a 25MHz Motorola
68030 microprocessor/68882 math coprocessor combination. It features the
same
flexible compact design and three industry-standard NuBus expansion slots
of
the Macintosh IIcx. However, the Macintosh IIci goes beyond the IIcx by
adding
built-in monitor support for a broad range of monitors as well as an
optional
high speed cache.
     "We offered a special promotion on the IIci to dealers two months ago,
since then we've seen sales of the IIci take off," said Bob Puette,
president
of Apple USA.  "Our customers tell us they appreciate the high level of
performance and expansion options of the IIci."
     Since it was announced in September, 1989, the Macintosh IIci has met
with
widespread acceptance.  It has also been popular with customers that want
an
A/UX, Apple's version of UNIX, system.  The IIci incorporated for the first
time full 32-bit architecture, built-in 32-bit color support and integrated
video support -- all significance advancements in the Macintosh II
architecture.
     To further offer customers more expansion options, Apple began
shipping an
optional cache card last month.  The small card lets users increase the
performance of the IIci by up to 30 percent.  The card consists of 32KB of
25-nanosecond static RAM and sells for a suggested retail price of $399.
     The IIci is the right combination of price and performance for
customers.
Its high performance characteristics are especially suited to financial
analysis, graphic design, desktop publishing or for anyone who desires a
more
responsive system.
     Prices and configurations, effective immediately through Apple
authorized
resellers throughout the United States, are as follows:

System Configuration              Old Price    New Price      Change

4MB RAM/SuperDrive floppy         $7,469       $5,969         -$1,500
4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk            $8,169       $6,669         -$1,500
4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk (Parity)   $8,669       $7,169         -$1,500
4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk (A/UX)     $8,769       $7,269         -$1,500

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh and A/UX are registered trademarks and
SuperDrive is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.  NuBus is a registered
trademark of Texas Instruments.  UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T
Information Systems.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (09/11/90)

In article <10129@goofy.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
>Of course we're listening. :-) Here's the text of the press release:

[stuff deleted]

>Its high performance characteristics are especially suited to financial
>analysis, graphic design, desktop publishing or for anyone who desires a
>more responsive system.
>
>System Configuration              Old Price    New Price      Change
>
>4MB RAM/SuperDrive floppy         $7,469       $5,969         -$1,500
>4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk            $8,169       $6,669         -$1,500
>4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk (Parity)   $8,669       $7,169         -$1,500
>4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk (A/UX)     $8,769       $7,269         -$1,500

[stuff deleted]

Am I missing something?  Is this supposed to be a good deal?  These prices make
Sun's look good.

Ken Warner

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (09/12/90)

In article <406@scubed.SCUBED.COM>, warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:
> In article <10129@goofy.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
> >System Configuration              Old Price    New Price      Change
> >
> >4MB RAM/SuperDrive floppy         $7,469       $5,969         -$1,500
> >4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk            $8,169       $6,669         -$1,500
> >4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk (Parity)   $8,669       $7,169         -$1,500
> >4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk (A/UX)     $8,769       $7,269         -$1,500
> [stuff deleted]
>
> Am I missing something?  Is this supposed to be a good deal?  These
prices make
> Sun's look good.
You mean something like this:
IPC:8MB RAM/200MB Hard Disk/16" color monitor    $10,000
Add a 16" color monitor, keyboard (remember, it's extra) and 100M external disk
to the A/UX system to get it equivalent, and the price is pretty much the same.
Where this leaves the IIfx is another story. It's a matter of how much value
you place on running Mac software over the speed advantage of the Sun (and
possibly specific software only available on the Sun).

Sun is putting real pressure on the pricing at the top of the Mac range.
Things can only improve.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/12/90)

In article <406@scubed.SCUBED.COM> warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:
>In article <10129@goofy.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
>>Of course we're listening. :-) Here's the text of the press release:
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>>Its high performance characteristics are especially suited to financial
>>analysis, graphic design, desktop publishing or for anyone who desires a
>>more responsive system.
>>
>>System Configuration              Old Price    New Price      Change
>>
>>4MB RAM/SuperDrive floppy         $7,469       $5,969         -$1,500
>>4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk            $8,169       $6,669         -$1,500
>>4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk (Parity)   $8,669       $7,169         -$1,500
>>4MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk (A/UX)     $8,769       $7,269         -$1,500
>>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>Am I missing something?  Is this supposed to be a good deal?  These prices make
>Sun's look good.

I was thinking the same thing.  A person who is willing to buy a Mac IIfx
would probably like the EXTRA power of a SparcStation SLC, the turn-key
unix in SunOS 4.1, and the savings of $2-3,000.  Apple must be earning
HUGE margins on these machines.  I never thought I'd see the day that
a Sun SPARCstation would compete in price with a Mac.  Rah rah Sun!

>Ken Warner

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

zeke@shamash.cdc.com (Robert Scott) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.152656.29635@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> In article <406@scubed.SCUBED.COM> warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:
> >
> >Am I missing something?  Is this supposed to be a good deal?  These prices
> >make Sun's look good.
>
> I was thinking the same thing.  A person who is willing to buy a Mac IIfx
> would probably like the EXTRA power of a SparcStation SLC, the turn-key
> unix in SunOS 4.1, and the savings of $2-3,000.  Apple must be earning
> HUGE margins on these machines.  I never thought I'd see the day that
> a Sun SPARCstation would compete in price with a Mac.  Rah rah Sun!
>
> Chris

Let's look at the big picture here.  There are some factors that I think
y'all are missing.

First, the announced prices for the Ci are Apple's "recommended" prices,
NOT the street prices, which are usually lower.  Unless you are a big
corporate account, or can get an academic discount, the SUN suggested
retail price IS the street price.

Second, include some extras that you have to buy with the Sparcstation
SLC to make it workable as a standalone:
	External disk with some kind of tape drive: 	$2000-3000
	CD-ROM drive and CD with SUN/OS binaries:	$1300
		(required by SUN beginning 1991 for
		OS releases, magtapes not available.)
	Applications, variety significantly more
		limited than the MAC/OS/AUX, and
		far more costly:			20%-300% more $$$

Fact is, if you like the stuff that's available on the Mac, you buy
a Mac.  If you want the stuff that's available on UNIX, or want to do
lots of open-systems programming, you buy a SUN.  If you want both,
you buy a Ci or FX with A/UX.  Or, you buy both, and use each for their
strengths.

Mac IICi and Sun 3/60 owner.
Zeke

--
~~~~~~~~~~~ From the Shrine of the "Last Gasp of ETA Systems" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Extra zesty disclaimer:  MINE! MINE! ALL MINE! <chortle snort froth drool>

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.152656.29635@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@cunixa (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>I was thinking the same thing.  A person who is willing to buy a Mac IIfx
>would probably like the EXTRA power of a SparcStation SLC, the turn-key
>unix in SunOS 4.1, and the savings of $2-3,000.  [ ... ]

Uh, "turn-key Unix"?  Is that something like "Army intelligence" or
"Jumbo shrimp"?

I'm sure adding an extra monitor, or a tape drive, or a CD-ROM drive
or hooking it up to a network of other Suns are all "turn-key"
operations, too, right?  Assuming you're a guru, that is.

Other hidden costs of Unix systems include the cost of software.
Software for Suns generally costs two or three times as much as
software for the Mac, and it is almost always inferior (though there
are certainly powerful packages available, there aren't exactly loads
of choices when it comes to spreadsheets, word processors, graphic
design programs, etc.).  And some of us like to be able to pick up the
phone and order some nice new Adobe fonts now and then.

MIPs aren't everything.  Quality and availability of software --
including system software -- is usually more important.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."