[comp.sys.mac.misc] Bitmap Font Problems

jost@ridley.coyote.trw.com (Patrick Jost) (09/14/90)

Subject: Re: I need help with bitmap fonts
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc

In article <cparramo.652842269@sysp1> you write:
>I'm currently using an HP LaserJet IIP printer with Adobe Type Manager and
>the MacPrint printer driver.  The problem is I would like to force "Font
>Substitution" for the Geneva, Chicago, and Monaco fonts.  The MacPrint driver
>does not allow this.  Is there some way I can modify the font using resedit to
>point to an ATM outline font when I print?
>
>Thanks
>
>Carl Parramore
>parramore@opsnet-pentagon.af.mil

I'd stay away from Resedit, but there's another trick that might work.
I'm guessing that you're avoiding the obvious solution to this problem,
namely working in the "substituted fonts" (e.g. Times for New York) as
the Laserwriter font screen fonts aren't as nice.

Here's something that might work. Get Fontastic Plus (from Altsys in
Plano, TX). Use it to make copies of fonts you like (e.g. New York)
with the names of the fonts that you want to print (e.g. Times). Just
open the first font, and save it with the name of the second. Then
open a copy of the printing font, get the FONT and FOND ID numbers,
and make sure the new font (that is, the font called Times that is
really New York) has the same numbers. Unless I'm missing something,
this should carry out the desired deception.

If not, get back to me, and I'll try to think of something else.

Good luck!

Patrick Jost

--

Patrick Jost                        | "Call it synchronicity, call it deja vu,
jost@coyote.trw.com                 |              -Marillion (Fish)