[comp.sys.mac.misc] Screen Saver w/ a password?

rww@demon.siemens.com (Richard W West) (09/01/90)

Does anyone know of a screen saver that has the option to turn on/off a
password?  Something along the line of what is pretty popular on the SUN
workstations is what I am looking for.

The reason I am looking for this is because I need to be logged onto two
fileservers throughout the night for backups to be done, but I do not
like the fact that someone can easily access the Fileservers using my
machine, which is already logged on as Administrator.  Severe security
hazard there..

-Rich West                        Internet: rww@demon.siemens.com
Siemens Corporate Research and Development Laboratories in Princeton, NJ
Disclaimer:  These opinions are mine.  They may be yours; they may be
             the company's.  Then again, maybe not.

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (09/01/90)

rww@demon.siemens.com (Richard W West) writes:

>Does anyone know of a screen saver that has the option to turn on/off a
>password?  Something along the line of what is pretty popular on the SUN
>workstations is what I am looking for.

>The reason I am looking for this is because I need to be logged onto two
>fileservers throughout the night for backups to be done, but I do not
>like the fact that someone can easily access the Fileservers using my
>machine, which is already logged on as Administrator.  Severe security
>hazard there..

>Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The current version of After Dark (2.0) from Berkeley System Design has a
password feature, and so, I believe, does the current version of its main
competitor Pyro! from 5th Generation Systems.  Both are available at
mailorder sources for ~$45.

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)

rww@demon.siemens.com (Richard W West) (09/04/90)

Here are the results of my search:

The two screen savers that give the option to have a password like that
commonly found on the SUNs are AfterDark and Pyro!.  I got 3 recommendations
for Pyro! and 4 recommendations for AfterDark.  Two people recommended either
one, the four that recommended AfterDark commented on the support and pictures
(they were the prettiest?), and the three that recommended Pyro! simply stated
that it was a cool program.

Seeing that I currently own Pyro! (it has been sitting on a shelf here for some
time), I will try it out.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

--

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (09/05/90)

From article <38447@siemens.siemens.com>, by rww@demon.siemens.com (Richard W West):
> Does anyone know of a screen saver that has the option to turn on/off a
> password?  Something along the line of what is pretty popular on the SUN
> workstations is what I am looking for.

PYRO 4.0 has a password access setup.  I don't know how tough it is to break,
but my guess is booting from a floppy will let you in.  If you combine it with
one of the other security options, it could let you leave it on an unattended...

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep1.031516.4288@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
>The current version of After Dark (2.0) from Berkeley System Design has a
>password feature, and so, I believe, does the current version of its main
>competitor Pyro! from 5th Generation Systems.  Both are available at
>mailorder sources for ~$45.
>Boris Levitin

	I recently purchased AD2.0 for a friend for $22 from MacConnection.
	Which is signifincantly less than 45. Not sure what Pyro 4.0 is is
	selling for, but for the $$, After Dark 2.0 is the only way to go
	as far as a universal screens saver with password protection goes.
	Well worth it..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/14/90)

In article <2828@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>	I recently purchased AD2.0 for a friend for $22 from MacConnection.
>	Which is signifincantly less than 45. Not sure what Pyro 4.0 is is
>	selling for, but for the $$, After Dark 2.0 is the only way to go
>	as far as a universal screens saver with password protection goes.

I must put in a good word for Pyro 4.0.  I use Pyro all the time, and its great.
We could argue back and forth over little features, but I would recommend
Pyro as stronly as you recommend After Dark. MacAvenue had Pyro 4.0 for $21.
And the password protection feature in Pyro is just as good as the password
protection feature in AD.  (You can get around both of them by booting from
a floppy.)

David