[comp.sys.mac.misc] The Great Compression War

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (09/05/90)

	Good job, Marty.

	It's amazing how few of these people see what kind of
restraints are created by making one of the default archival
algorithms a proprietary one.

	Many "alternate platform" dearchival utilities for formats
such as .SIT are written on the spur-of-the-moment by a programmer who
sees a need for the tool.  When all one has to do is find the
documentation for a given open format, it's easy - compared to
contacting the company and wading through the assorted legalese and
red tape and cash output to license a proprietary format.  I can't see
how keeping the format proprietary is going to forward the progress of
this kind of technology - instead, I can only see it aiding in the
stagnation of it by hindering new development.

	For Aladdin, keeping the format proprietary is good.  They
maintain control, and can determine how the product evolves.  This is
the place that Leonard and his supporters are arguing from, and is
often a good stance - one that Mac enthusiasts often argue from in
support of Apple's ownership of the Macintosh interface.

	For the "Macintosh Community", keeping the format proprietary
is bad.  It stifles development by placing more obstacles in the path
of the independent programmer, and makes the applications of companies
which do license the technology dependent on the whims of Aladdin - a
company whose first duty is (and let's be honest here, kids) to itself
and it's financial supporters.  This is where Marty and his supporters
are arguing from.

	I support the existence of a open standard; and I strongly
support the usage of an open standard for the storage of file in
public archives.  It isn't the cost of the tool for archival and
dearchival that concerns me - it's whether or not I can -choose- my
tool.  That is the matter that a number of people here are concerned
about, and that Marty is arguing for.

	Choice.

-=-
| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (09/14/90)

In article <4432@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>	It's amazing how few of these people see what kind of
>restraints are created by making one of the default archival
>algorithms a proprietary one.

	Its amazing to see the number of people that think this
	is something that is worth worrying about. I can probably
	count the number of compression utilities that read/write
	Stuffit archives on one hand.

>	Many "alternate platform" dearchival utilities for formats
>such as .SIT are written on the spur-of-the-moment by a programmer who
>sees a need for the tool.  When all one has to do is find the
>documentation for a given open format, it's easy - compared to
>contacting the company and wading through the assorted legalese and
>red tape and cash output to license a proprietary format.  I can't see
>how keeping the format proprietary is going to forward the progress of
>this kind of technology - instead, I can only see it aiding in the
>stagnation of it by hindering new development.

	As I indicated above, how many programmers are really
	running out and writing utilities for other platforms?
	I would suspect that the number is amazingly "low" and
	its probably not going to increase anytime soon and NOT
	because of any reasons given here, specially because the
	file format of Deluxe archives is propriatary to Alladin.

>	For Aladdin, keeping the format proprietary is good.  They
>maintain control, and can determine how the product evolves.  This is
>the place that Leonard and his supporters are arguing from, and is
>often a good stance - one that Mac enthusiasts often argue from in
>support of Apple's ownership of the Macintosh interface.
>
>	For the "Macintosh Community", keeping the format proprietary
>is bad.  It stifles development by placing more obstacles in the path
>of the independent programmer, and makes the applications of companies
>which do license the technology dependent on the whims of Aladdin - a
>company whose first duty is (and let's be honest here, kids) to itself
>and it's financial supporters.  This is where Marty and his supporters
>are arguing from.

	I really doubt that if Alladin decided to publish the format
	of Deluxe Archives you would see ANY great increase in the
	number of compression utilities released. Get serious, doing
	compression routines is probably the most boring thing on earth
	to program. Which is probably why there are so few compression
	utilities in the first place. You can count most of the main
	ones on two hands.

>	I support the existence of a open standard; and I strongly
>support the usage of an open standard for the storage of file in
>public archives.  It isn't the cost of the tool for archival and
>dearchival that concerns me - it's whether or not I can -choose- my
>tool.  That is the matter that a number of people here are concerned
>about, and that Marty is arguing for.
>	Choice.
>| Jim Gaynor

	As I see it, you do have a choice, if you want to write
	Deluxe compatable utility, you call Alladin and chances
	are they will license the format. If they don't do that, than
	everyone has a right to complain. But I doubt if this will
	be the case.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.