[comp.sys.mac.misc] Alarming Events

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (09/12/90)

In article <4098@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David
Gutierrez) writes:
> Alarming Events is a combination INIT/desk accessory that maintains a
> schedule of your appointments. You can schedule meetings with the DA
> calendar and have the INIT notify you of the event when it comes up. You
> can specify recurring events and request advance notification of events.
> It also maintains a to-do list for you.

I own (and use) Smart Alarms, and it is very solid and reliable, but the
user interface could be much better. From the literature I've seen,
Alarming Events seems to offer most of the features that are missing in
Smart Alarms. But is it really a good program? Anybody used both programs
enough to compare them? How buggy is Alarming Events?

Russell Owen
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
Astronomy Dept. FM-20
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

rrr@u02.svl.cdc.com (Rich Ragan) (09/12/90)

In <7353@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>Alarming Events seems to offer most of the features that are missing in
>Smart Alarms. But is it really a good program? Anybody used both programs
>enough to compare them? How buggy is Alarming Events?

I used Smart Alarms for several years and found it quite satisfactory
except that the alarm dialog box is modal. My communications package
that supports multiple connections via a packet protocol has a handshake
timer which drops circuits on a timeout basis. Alas, Smart Alarms'
modal dialog prevents the foreground application from getting any CP
time until it is dismissed so I lost lots of connections. I complained
to Jam Software and they said they might fix it and they would put me
on their beta test list. The result with their new release was: it
was not fixed and I never got a shot at beta testing. As a result,
I bought Alarming Events when it came out. It is more elaborate than
Smart Alarms but perhaps not quite so easy to use (I have made
suggestions to CE Software in this area). As for stability, there
are known problems with the initial release (1.0.1 if memory serves)
that are being actively worked on. In particular, AE interferes with
SCSI device number 1 such that popup alarms don't work. I have
had two other types of crashes that I have traced (via TMON) to AE
and reported to CE. I'm not entirely pleased with the crashes (and
have remedied one by patching SuperClock) but I have had enough
good experiences with CE Software in the past to believe that they
will fix the problems and listen to the suggestions for improvement.
Therefore, I plan to stay with Alarming Events.
--
Richard R. Ragan (408) 496-4340
Control Data Corp., Silicon Valley Operations

mposton@uci.edu (Michael Poston) (09/12/90)

In article <7353@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
(Russell Owen) writes:
> How buggy is Alarming Events?

Here's one incompatibility (don't know if it's a bug or not, or if it is,
where the bug is):  Alarming Events cannot be used on a machine running
System 6.0.3 *and* 32-bit QuickDraw version 1.0.  The only work-around is
to upgrade to System 6.0.5 and 32-bit QD version 1.2.  This has been
reported to and confirmed by CE Software.

CE's forum on Compuserve has been very lively the past month or so with
praises/curses/bug reports/feature wish lists for Alarming Events.  Anyone
interested in AE with access to CI$ might want to follow some of the
activity there.

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (09/12/90)

Before CE Software sent me Alarming Events, I was using Smart Alarms and
the multi-user Appointment Diary. I was pretty happy with Smart Alarms,
except for the modal dialogs and some of the user interface features. In
particular, you could specify advance notification for a meeting 15
minutes in advance, but not 30 or 37. Recurring events could be set for
daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly, but not for the
third Saturday of every month. The windows for the week-at-a-glance in the
Appoinment Diary were too small to show more than a couple of appointments
and the Appointment Diary was not fully integrated with Smart Alarms.

In addition, JAM Software never sent us an upgrade notice for version 3.0
of Smart Alarms. We finally found out about the upgrade through the net
(thanks, y'all) and sent our upgrade request in. Five weeks ago. One day
we'll get it. CE Software seems to have a better reputation for customer
service and frequent updates.

One advantage Smart Alarms with Multi-User Appointment Diary has over
Alarming Events is in multi-user use on a network. My department chairman
wants a scheduler that will let him leave his calendar open and will let
his secretary schedule appointments for him as well as let him schedule
his own appointments. Smart Alarms with etc. will let two people have the
same calendar file open, as long as the two of them are not examining the
same day. The documentation for Alarming Events seems to indicate that one
user must close the file entirely before another can use it, unless it is
placed in an AppleShare folder to which only one person has read/write
access while others have read-only access.

We have also found an incompatibility between Alarming Events and Avatar's
MacMainFrame software. If the Alarming Events DA file is open in Suitcase,
the MacMainFrame program hangs while loading. The Alarming Events INITs
can be present as long as the DA file is not open. I don't know where the
problem is, but since a MacMainFrame board costs more than Alarming
Events, that user got my old copy of Smart Alarms.

David Gutierrez
an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (09/12/90)

#>(Russell Owen) writes:
#>> How buggy is Alarming Events?

I don't know how buggy it is. But if you phone CE Software,
they will send you a demo disk that works for 30 days to try
it out for yourself. I got one for my boss, but he hasn't had
time to try it out yet.

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (09/14/90)

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) asks:

> But is it (Alarming Events) really a good program? How buggy is Alarming
> Events?

It's really a useful program.  The only feature that I wish it had is the
ability
to prioritize To Do Items by some criterion other than time.  As for buggy,
I've been suspicious of it because about the time I installed it, my Mac
became
subject to freeze ups after long periods of no activity or only serial
activity.
 I stuck in a couple of inits that came with Norton Utilities at about the
same
time so I couldn't be sure that Alarming Events was the culprit.  In fact I
first suspected Norton's Disklight cdev because I have identical setups on my
personal II and my company IIci except that I don't use Disklight in the ci.
 The ci just purrs along, all the problems occured on the II.  Well I had
determined
that trashing Disklight didn't solve the problem and trashing all my init's
did solve the problem.  I was about to test the hypothesis that Alarming
Events
in incompatible with the II but compatible with the ci when a message here
suggested
that there were problems with installing Alarming Events under Suitcase.  I
quick check of the ci confirmed that, sure enough, on the ci the Alarming
Events
DA was installed direcly in the System File while on the II it was in an open
suitcase.  Not installing the DA with suitcase seems to have solved my problem

but it's early to draw that conclusion.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org