[comp.sys.mac.misc] Imagewriter Output spacing is bad!

aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) (09/10/90)

When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
some letters run over others.

Is this a common mishap attributable to the Imagewriter driver or is
there something that can be done about it?

Caglan Aras
Caglan M. Aras    aras@eceris.ncsu.edu| Experts know more and
N. C State Univ.                      | more about less and
ECE Dept. Robotics Lab                | less till they know
Raleigh, NC 27695                     | everything about nothing!

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep9.200530.20437@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) writes:
>When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
>point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
>crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
>some letters run over others.

You know, I have run into something like this too and I would really like to
know what is going on.

Using MacWriteII (latest version) mainly but also other applications that
support proportional fonts, I consistently get crowding on the imagewriterII.
For example, if I type (708) 651-3333, the 6 will be rammed into the ")".
However, If I type (708)651-3333, the 6 will actually be placed further to the
right. In other words, it almost appears that the space is resulting in a
NEGATIVE space spacing in some cases. Note also that this seems to vary from
font to font. I tend to have trouble with Bookman (a corrected
version of Adobe's screen font)

I though that this was the application at first but even when using straight
text editors and printing things out, you see the same thing. I am beginning to
believe that there is something strange in the way the imagewriter driver works
that no one has either:

a) discovered it yet or

b) wants to tell anyone that it has been discovered :-)

Even if it Can't be "fixed", I would sure like to know what is wrong though.

Any ideas out there?

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) (09/11/90)

aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) writes:

>When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
>point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
>crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
>some letters run over others.

>Is this a common mishap attributable to the Imagewriter driver or is
>there something that can be done about it?

>Caglan Aras
>Caglan M. Aras    aras@eceris.ncsu.edu| Experts know more and
>N. C State Univ.                      | more about less and
>ECE Dept. Robotics Lab                | less till they know
>Raleigh, NC 27695                     | everything about nothing!

I have this problem too. The apple dealer says that Times is for
laserwriters only, use Geneva for the imagewriter. This is very
frustrating, as Geneva does not look nearly as good as Times, but
it works. Does anyone know what is happening?

Klaus Kristiansen

hermens@groucho (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep11.102439.8619@diku.dk> klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:
>aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) writes:
>
>>When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
>>point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
>>crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
>>some letters run over others.
>
>>Is this a common mishap attributable to the Imagewriter driver or is
>>there something that can be done about it?
>
>>Caglan Aras
>
	>I have this problem too. The apple dealer says that Times is for
	>laserwriters only, use Geneva for the imagewriter. This is very
	>frustrating, as Geneva does not look nearly as good as Times, but
	>it works. Does anyone know what is happening?
>

>Klaus Kristiansen

         Same with me, however, Geneva is not replacement font for Times.
         New York is the font for Imagewriters, whereas Times is for Lasers.

         This still does not explain why Word 4.0 screws up the Times font
         in Imagewriter documents...and I don't have the answer.

Leonard

omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) (09/12/90)

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep11.102439.8619@diku.dk>, klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:
| aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) writes:
|
| |When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
| |point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
| |crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
| |some letters run over others.
| I have this problem too. The apple dealer says that Times is for
| laserwriters only, use Geneva for the imagewriter. This is very
| frustrating, as Geneva does not look nearly as good as Times, but
| it works. Does anyone know what is happening?

The problem here is that you probably have fractional font spacing turned
off.  You can turn it on again by checking the box in the page setup dialog
box.  An INIT called AlwaysFract exists that forces fractional font spacing
on as a default in MSWord.  Very handy.
--
Richard Straka                  AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP: att!ihlpf!straka          MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane

hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (09/12/90)

>aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) writes:
>
>>When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
>>point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
>>crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
>>some letters run over others.
>
>>Is this a common mishap attributable to the Imagewriter driver or is
>>there something that can be done about it?

One thing that might help is to get Adobe's version of the LaserWriter
screen fonts.  These have true italic, bold, and bold italic bitmaps
and match the actual LaserWriter fonts much better than Apple's.

I can't guarantee that Word knows how to handle them properly, but
with most applications they produce very good results.

Hal Perkins                hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

hermens@groucho (09/12/90)

In article <45684@cornell.UUCP> hal@cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:
>>aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) writes:
>>
>>>When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
>>>point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
>>>crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
>>>some letters run over others.
>>
>>>Is this a common mishap attributable to the Imagewriter driver or is
>>>there something that can be done about it?
>
>One thing that might help is to get Adobe's version of the LaserWriter
>screen fonts.  These have true italic, bold, and bold italic bitmaps
>and match the actual LaserWriter fonts much better than Apple's.

                        I DID...

>I can't guarantee that Word knows how to handle them properly, but
>with most applications they produce very good results.

                        AND IT DOESN'T!

         >Hal Perkins                hal@cs.cornell.edu
         >Cornell CS

Leonard Hermens

hermens@groucho (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.022636.7963@cbnewsc.att.com> straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:
>In article <1990Sep11.102439.8619@diku.dk>, klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:
>| aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) writes:
>|
>| |When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
>| |point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
>| |crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
>| |some letters run over others.
>| I have this problem too. The apple dealer says that Times is for
>| laserwriters only, use Geneva for the imagewriter. This is very
>| frustrating, as Geneva does not look nearly as good as Times, but
>| it works. Does anyone know what is happening?
>
>The problem here is that you probably have fractional font spacing turned
>off.  You can turn it on again by checking the box in the page setup dialog
>box.

    It is my impression that this only works on Laserwriters.
    I saw NO difference when I switched this feature on with
    the Imagewriter II.

Leonard.

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.022636.7963@cbnewsc.att.com> straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:

   The problem here is that you probably have fractional font spacing turned
   off.  You can turn it on again by checking the box in the page setup dialog
   box.  An INIT called AlwaysFract exists that forces fractional font spacing
   on as a default in MSWord.  Very handy.

You can also always turn it on by selecting "do" Fractional Spacing in
the Commands dialog box, or by putting it onto a menu. Then it takes
affect in new documents...

Alan D. Danziger,            | Reality is a function of the delusion factor
753 South St,Waltham MA 02154| If at first you DO succeed, Congratulations
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | For those about to Rock, we salute you
MB 3130/Brandeis University  | Life's a beach & then you drown! Catch the Wave
PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254 | (617) 894-6859                   (617) 647-3720

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (09/13/90)

In article <45684@cornell.UUCP> hal@cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:

>One thing that might help is to get Adobe's version of the LaserWriter
>screen fonts.  These have true italic, bold, and bold italic bitmaps
>and match the actual LaserWriter fonts much better than Apple's.

Nope! Not the problem! I though o' this and tried it to no help. What I can't
understand is that it looks reasonable on screen but screws up on the printer
which has a higher resolution than the screen.

From one of the responses of something that someone at apple said, it kinda
sounds like the imagewriter driver can't handle fractional type fonts. But even
then, If proportional fonts are turned off, then what you see on the screen
should be close to what is on the printer but it's not!

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.022636.7963@cbnewsc.att.com> straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:
>The problem here is that you probably have fractional font spacing turned
>off.  You can turn it on again by checking the box in the page setup dialog
>box.  An INIT called AlwaysFract exists that forces fractional font spacing

What you say is true but this is a DIFFERENT problem. If proportional fonts are
turned on, you get scrunching on the screen in some applications (such as MWII)
that goes away when it's turned off. This problem tends to stick around
in some cases regardless of whether fractional is on or off!

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) (09/13/90)

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:

>In article <1990Sep11.102439.8619@diku.dk>, klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:
>| aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) writes:
>|
>| |When printing with proportional fonts, (I use Times and have 12 and 24
>| |point installed ) from Word 4.0 on the Imagewriter II, most lines are
>| |crunched, the spaces lost. It gets worst with bolds and italics, there
>| |some letters run over others.
>| I have this problem too. The apple dealer says that Times is for
>| laserwriters only, use Geneva for the imagewriter. This is very
>| frustrating, as Geneva does not look nearly as good as Times, but
>| it works. Does anyone know what is happening?

>The problem here is that you probably have fractional font spacing turned
>off.  You can turn it on again by checking the box in the page setup dialog
>box.  An INIT called AlwaysFract exists that forces fractional font spacing
>on as a default in MSWord.  Very handy.
>--
>Richard Straka                  AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
>UUCP: att!ihlpf!straka          MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane
>ARPA: straka@ihlpf.att.com      syntax of UNIX(R), but without the power.

I have the same problem using MacWriteII, which does not
have a fractional font spacing check box in its page setup dialog

Klaus Kristiansen

pasek@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (09/13/90)

In <1990Sep11.205910.7261@groucho> hermens@ted.cs.uidaho.edu (L. Hermens) wrote:
>In <1990Sep11.102439.8619@diku.dk> klaus@diku.dk (K. O. Kristiansen) wrote:
>>aras@ecerl1.ece.ncsu.edu (Caglan Aras) wrote:

This may have nothing to do with this problem, but I heard that versions of
the Font/DA Mover before 3.6 (or was that 3.8 ?) did not correctly copy some
part of the font info.  It could be that Word 4.0 is now attempting to use
this info, and that's what's screwing it up.  As a suggestion, try deleting
the suspect font and re-installing it (FROM THE ORIGINAL DISK, OF COURSE)
using the latest & greatest  Font/DA Mover.  However, if this doesn't work,
remember that I never promised it would.

M. A. Pasek               Software Development              NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668               MNI Development              2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep13.084403.11069@diku.dk> klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:

>I have the same problem using MacWriteII, which does not
>have a fractional font spacing check box in its page setup dialog

Actually, MacWriteII DOES have this capability but it's not in the page setup,
it is in some preferences menu (can't remeber just where at the moment).

However, the problem is that the printout can basically have the same problem
REGARDLESS of whether this is turned on or off. You tend to notice the problem
more on short lines that do not do to the end of the page. Turning off
fractional widths should fix this kind of problem but the problem seems to be
independant of this. It also seems to be independant of the application (I've
seen it on Word, MacWrite 1.5, MacWriteII 1.1, and McSink. In other words,
everything that I've tried it on). The degree of the problem seems to vary from
one typeface to another as well.

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM