[comp.sys.mac.misc] Scientific Symbol Fonts

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (09/11/90)

I have been asked the same question by a couple of people here, so now I
have to do something about it!

We need a Sceintific *PostScript* font to print h-bar and all manner of
other wonderful characters. We have tried Expresionist and a couple of
other work-arounds, but they aren't very good.

We also need to be able to print crystallographic indices (Miller Indices).
These appear as one bar one zero or one one bar two zero. Looks like:
          _          _
       (1 1 0)  (1 1 2 0)

Do any postscript fonts have a built in overbar?

How do others cope with this problem?

Mail to me and I'll summerise if I get any useful responses.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Purcell             | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science Centre    |
Liverpool University      | Omit needless words.

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (09/13/90)

In article <90254.174022KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>We also need to be able to print crystallographic indices (Miller Indices).
>These appear as one bar one zero or one one bar two zero. Looks like:
>          _          _
>       (1 1 0)  (1 1 2 0)

Have you tried Symbol font?  Option-` followed by a second character
gives tilde in fonts like Times, but overbar in Symbol.

I constructed an elaborate macro for my advisor to use for Miller
indices in Word before discovering that one.

  == Daniel ==                     Daniel Sternbergh
                                   ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu
                                   Materials Science & Engineering

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep12.190951.3306@portia.Stanford.EDU> ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) writes:
>In article <90254.174022KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>>We also need to be able to print crystallographic indices (Miller Indices).
>>These appear as one bar one zero or one one bar two zero. Looks like:
>>          _          _
>>       (1 1 0)  (1 1 2 0)
>
>Have you tried Symbol font?  Option-` followed by a second character
>gives tilde in fonts like Times, but overbar in Symbol.
>
>I constructed an elaborate macro for my advisor to use for Miller
>indices in Word before discovering that one.
>
>  == Daniel ==                     Daniel Sternbergh
>                                   ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu
>                                   Materials Science & Engineering

But how do you deal with the odd spacing it gives? I had to give up on
doing it that way in cases where I didn't want to have a space before
my barred character.

I just use MathType to created the barred character. The original question
sounded like something like that was too inconvenient, I assume because of
the copying, pasting and adjusting of baselines necessary. If you're using
Word as I am, you can create the necessary character once, get it adjusted
so the baseline is right by subscripting it and then enter it in your
Word glossary. Next time you need the character you only have to call it
from the glossary instead of going through the creating in another program
and copying and pasting and adjusting the baseline (since the subscripting
is retained in the glossary).

But if that still seems like too much trouble for you, it looks like you're
a candidate for Parafont from Design Science, Inc., 6475-B East Pacific Coast
Highway, Suite 392, Long Beach, CA 90803. (213) 422-0685. Parafont is
expressly designed to do modifications to a PostScript font of the kind
you want to do.

Dana E. Keil, dana@are.berkeley.edu (Thanks for the fkey, ddaniel!)