[comp.sys.mac.misc] Need Info Concerning Apple's Quantum HD fix

jye@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Chen, Cornell University '93) (09/14/90)

Remember when Apple announced there was a problem with its Quantum drives?
My Macintosh was purchased around the period of time when these problems
occurred, and now, I believe my hard disk is exhibiting symptoms of a "sticky"
drive arm.

Does anyone out there have that file which was posted one year ago which
gives details concerning this problem along with who to contact?

As I recall, the one-year program to fix the problematic drives expires this
October. (Murphy's Law at work)

Thanks,
Jeff Chen
JYE@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (09/15/90)

--

Jeff,

I don't have the list that you sought, but here's one variety to indentify
if you own one of the lucky drive.  We got 10 of them!

1.  All 10 are 40MB, 3.5 inch, internal Quantum drive.
2.  These drive are not sealed.  Look at the picture below.  If the chip
    marked (*) is T7901, read on.  Else, it is different variety than ours.
                       __________________________
               A----> |                          |
         power =======|                          |
         cable        |                          |
                      |                          |     floppy drive
               =======|               _____      |      that way
           data cable |              |_(*)_|     |          |
               =======|__________________________|          v

3.  Look at A -->, there should be a sticker with bar code.  The magic
    number is 0032.  There are also some other numbers but I can't recollect
    them right now (they are between 0032-0050).  All of our 10 are 0032.

If yours checked out 3 for 3, then you got one of the lucky drive.  Contact
your Apple's dealer.

But of course, you can't open the Mac and verified all  these if you are not
qualified and authorized by Apple.  You might violate the warranty and void
the replacement of the new chip!  8^)

__Mouse.o()~

Dhanapong Saengrussamee       | AppleLink: U1364 | BITNET: mouse@untvax
Technical Support, CECS Dept. | BIX: d.mouse.s | Compu$erve: 71301,1516
University of North Texas     | Internet: mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
PO Box 5155 - UNT Station     | UUCP: ...!uunet!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse
Denton, TX 76203-5155         | Phone: (817) 565-4435 | FAX: (817) 565-4425

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (09/15/90)

I've found some old articles on this subject, here is one of them: