[comp.sys.mac.misc] Ok. I give. What's with the MMU socket on MacII MC68581

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (09/14/90)

Ok.  Here is the scenario:

I am sitting in front of a disassembled MacII with the Motorola 68581
memory management chip and I remove the fake mac chip expecting
to be ready for the next release of Finder, et al.

GAACK!
Where did the rest of the ic pins go in the socket?  They match the
fake one but not the real one... B-)

Aside from desoldering and replacing the WHOLE socket, how is Apple
planning on getting the rest of the connections to the MMU?
Offer a '030 retrofit?  Swap motherboards?  Instant old computer?

I'm nu to this stuff, man...
-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

Greg@AppleLink.apple.com (Greg Marriott) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep14.005454.3917@bpdsun1.uucp> rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob
Finley) writes:
> I am sitting in front of a disassembled MacII with the Motorola 68581
> memory management chip and I remove the fake mac chip expecting
> to be ready for the next release of Finder, et al.
>
> GAACK!
> Where did the rest of the ic pins go in the socket?  They match the
> fake one but not the real one... B-)

That's pretty weird.  I put a 68851 in my Mac II with no problem.  Are you
sure you have the orientation of the MMU correct?

Greg Marriott
Just Some Guy
Apple Computer, Inc.

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep14.005454.3917@bpdsun1.uucp> rmf@bpdsun1.UUCP (Rob Finley) writes:
>Ok.  Here is the scenario:
>
>I am sitting in front of a disassembled MacII with the Motorola 68581
>memory management chip and I remove the fake mac chip expecting
>to be ready for the next release of Finder, et al.
>
>GAACK!
>Where did the rest of the ic pins go in the socket?  They match the
>fake one but not the real one... B-)
>
>Aside from desoldering and replacing the WHOLE socket, how is Apple
>planning on getting the rest of the connections to the MMU?
>Offer a '030 retrofit?  Swap motherboards?  Instant old computer?

Same situation when I bought my used Mac II.  Apple offers a free board
swap if you have that older Mac II board. <Mine was done less than 2 months
ago so it is still valid!>   I'm not sure what Apple repair guidline it
fell under, but keep trying dealers until you find one who is willing
to do some digging.  Thats what I had to do.  In fact, most of the service
techs I talked didn't even know what a PMMU was. <where do they find
these knowledgable board swappers anyway?>
Oh, and don't let them tell you that you have to buy the PMMU and show them
proof that you have it before they do the swap.
It was nice buying a 3 year old Mac II on the used market and getting
a new motherboard put in it.

Charles

jac@tinton.ccur.com (Jim Clausing) (09/16/90)

<Finley) writes:
<> I am sitting in front of a disassembled MacII with the Motorola 68581
<> memory management chip and I remove the fake mac chip expecting
<> to be ready for the next release of Finder, et al.
<>
<
<That's pretty weird.  I put a 68851 in my Mac II with no problem.  Are you
<sure you have the orientation of the MMU correct?

Same here, are you sure you pulled the right chip &/or have the orientation
correct.  It was no more than a 5 minute operation for me and I'm not
particularly a hardware kind of guy.

<
<Greg Marriott
--
Jim Clausing 			jac@tinton.ccur.com
Parallel Processing Tools	ph. (201)758-7693