[comp.sys.mac.misc] Imagewriter Spacing

omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) (09/12/90)

I'm not sure why Word 4.0 messes up on Times, either, but...
whenever I don't like the spacing in 4.0, I go in under Page Setup
and turn on Fractional Widths (or turn it off, if it's already on).
This often helps; you might try it with Times.  But probably you're
better off sticking with New York instead.

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (09/13/90)

Here at Penn State we did some testing of this phenomenon last year, and
told Microsoft about the problem, but never heard anything more about it.

The problem occurs with LaserWriter fonts EXCEPT Helvetica, as I recall,
when you apply styles such as boldface, etc. to them.  You get overlapping
characters and suchlike.

Somebody mentioned making sure Fractional Widths is turned on; this may
fix the problem (I don't remember; it's been a while).  Seems to me that
the problem is in the way Word handles character spacing, and trying to
reconcile the LaserWriter font metrics with the screen (and ImageWriter)
metrics.

An interesting point, though, is that MacWrite II does NOT have this
problem dealing with bitmap versions of the LaserWriter fonts.  Maybe
Microsoft should take notice....

-------
Christopher Tate                   |
Student Computer Consultant        |   "The whole place is coming alive!"
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               |
{...}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105  |   "Yeah, and we're coming *dead*...."
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                |

jost@acme.coyote.trw.com (Patrick Jost) (09/13/90)

In article <7072@alvin.mcnc.org> omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) writes:
>I'm not sure why Word 4.0 messes up on Times, either, but...
>whenever I don't like the spacing in 4.0, I go in under Page Setup
>and turn on Fractional Widths (or turn it off, if it's already on).
>This often helps; you might try it with Times.  But probably you're
>better off sticking with New York instead.

Yes! Times is a Laserwriter font! Unless you're using a Laserwriter, you'll
get less-than-ideal results, unless you use Times with ATM...then things
should improve!

PJester

--

Patrick Jost                        | "Call it synchronicity, call it deja vu,
jost@coyote.trw.com                 |              -Marillion (Fish)

kenk@tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) (09/14/90)

In article <90255.150320CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) writes:
|An interesting point, though, is that MacWrite II does NOT have this
|problem dealing with bitmap versions of the LaserWriter fonts.  Maybe
|Microsoft should take notice....

Nor does WriteNow.

--
Ken Konecki
"Eat well, stay fit, and die anyway"

laird@slum.MV.COM (Laird Heal) (09/16/90)

In article <26EE949D.6BDF@wilbur.coyote.trw.com>, jost@acme.coyote.trw.com
(Patrick Jost) writes:

>In article <7072@alvin.mcnc.org> omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) writes:
>>I'm not sure why Word 4.0 messes up on Times, either, but...
>>whenever I don't like the spacing in 4.0, I go in under Page Setup
>>and turn on Fractional Widths (or turn it off, if it's already on).
>>This often helps; you might try it with Times.  But probably you're
>>better off sticking with New York instead.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

>Yes! Times is a Laserwriter font! Unless you're using a Laserwriter, you'll
>get less-than-ideal results, unless you use Times with ATM...then things
>should improve!

To each their own - way back when Apple released the first screen font for
Times, I modified the 18, 20 and 24 sizes to print very nicely on my IM I.
A later release was not suited to easy modification, and I later lost track
of the changed font because I did the same thing to Courier resuling in a
much more readable but monospaced font.

With such a monospaced, customized font I have never seen a problem with
printer spacing on the ImageWriter, and it looks very much like what my
typewriter produces too!

--
Laird Heal	laird@slum.MV.COM	Talk is cheap.
(Salem, NH)	+1 603 898 1406		Whiskey costs money.