[comp.sys.mac.misc] Do I buy a MacIIci?

griffi-r@moon.cis.ohio-state.edu (robert m griffiths) (09/11/90)

I'm interested in purchasing a high-end macII: either a ci or an fx. The
ci currently stretches the limits of my budget and the fx isn't really feasible
at the current prices.

So, my basic question is this: if I buy the ci, will Apple release a new
computer within the next year or so that will drive the price of the fx into
a more affordable region and make me regret that I went ahead and bought the
ci? Obviously, I would rather have the fx if I could afford it.

Does anyone have any insight that would help me make a decision?

Thanks

Bob Griffiths
griffi-r@cis.ohio-state.edu

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (09/12/90)

In article <83539@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, griffi-r@moon.cis.ohio-state.edu (robert m griffiths) writes:
> I'm interested in purchasing a high-end macII: either a ci or an fx. The
> ci currently stretches the limits of my budget and the fx isn't really feasible
> at the current prices.

That would seem to be a deciding factor...a slower machine that you can afford
will be faster (for you) than any machine that you can't.

> So, my basic question is this: if I buy the ci, will Apple release a new
> computer within the next year or so that will drive the price of the fx into
> a more affordable region and make me regret that I went ahead and bought the
> ci? Obviously, I would rather have the fx if I could afford it.

That is the nature of the business.  On the other hand, expect to see c-class
macs in the not-too-distant-future using the MC68040 at 16 or 25 or 33 MHz
that will run faster than the fx does now.  An upgrade for your ci would be
less than the cost difference between the ci and fx now (if you wait a while,
at worst), and you have a more convenient size of box on your desk.

> Does anyone have any insight that would help me make a decision?

Not so much insight as remembering having lived through equivalent cycles
time after time in the past.

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/12/90)

>> So, my basic question is this: if I buy the ci, will Apple release a new
>> computer within the next year or so that will drive the price of the fx into
>> a more affordable region and make me regret that I went ahead and bought the
>> ci? Obviously, I would rather have the fx if I could afford it.

Apple, IBM, Compaq, or any other computer company will always release
a machine next year that is twice as fast and half the price of this
year's machine. If you wait 20 years, you'll be able to buy a Cray for
$100.  Any machine you buy will be obsolete in 3 years.  But at some
point you have to say "this machine is good enough and cheap enough
for me," and simply buy one.

Disclaimer:  I'm not talking about any specfic unannounced products,
just noting industry trends in general.  Its stupid I even have to
say this, but after seeing someone fired for saying something equally
harmless...

David

gt7601b@prism.gatech.EDU (TSUNG,FU-LIN) (09/13/90)

In article <44733@apple.Apple.COM> das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:

>year's machine. If you wait 20 years, you'll be able to buy a Cray for
>$100.

  Where can I put my name on the waiting list.  8-)

--
TSUNG,FU-LIN                       |  I am going to stop wasting my time reading
Georgia Institute of Technology    |  all the newsgroups and start working ---

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/14/90)

In article <13600@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7601b@prism.gatech.EDU (TSUNG,FU-LIN) writes:
>In article <44733@apple.Apple.COM> das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:
>>year's machine. If you wait 20 years, you'll be able to buy a Cray for
>>$100.
>  Where can I put my name on the waiting list.  8-)

Better be sure you have a couple of extra bedrooms and $70K a year for
the two Cray engineers who will come to live with you.  After all, it
wouldn't be a Cray if it could run for more than ten minutes without
a hardware fault, now would it?  :-)

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (09/14/90)

m griffiths) writes:

RG> So, my basic question is this: if I buy the ci, will Apple
RG> release a new computer within the next year or so that will drive
RG> the price of the fx into a more affordable region and make me
RG> regret that I went ahead and bought the ci?

SH> That is the nature of the business. On the other hand, expect to
SH> see c-class macs in the not-too-distant-future using the MC68040 at
SH> 16 or 25 or 33 MHz that will run faster than the fx does now.

There is no mystery here, Steve.  Apple will release a 33MHz '040 within 3
weeks
of the time that I scrape together the money to upgrade my II.  It doesn't
matter
whether it takes me a month or a year, Apple is just waiting till they get my
money before they announce the next machine.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

stevenso@Apple.COM (David Stevenson) (09/15/90)

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:
>year's machine. If you wait 20 years, you'll be able to buy a Cray for
>$100.

Not to mention that the monthly power bill will be several times that.  And
imagine the structural strengthening that will be required at your abode before
installation!

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (09/18/90)

In article <26593.26F0E372@stjhmc.fidonet.org>, Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:
> >fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix), replying to
> griffi-r@moon.cis.ohio-state.edu(robert
> m griffiths) writes:
>
> RG> So, my basic question is this: if I buy the ci, will Apple
> RG> release a new computer within the next year or so that will drive
> RG> the price of the fx into a more affordable region and make me
> RG> regret that I went ahead and bought the ci?
>
> SH> That is the nature of the business. On the other hand, expect to
> SH> see c-class macs in the not-too-distant-future using the MC68040 at
> SH> 16 or 25 or 33 MHz that will run faster than the fx does now.
>
> There is no mystery here, Steve.  Apple will release a 33MHz '040 within 3
> weeks of the time that I scrape together the money to upgrade my II.  It doesn't
> matter whether it takes me a month or a year, Apple is just waiting till they get my
> money before they announce the next machine.
				 ^^^^

Careful what you call it!

Anyone want to contribute to Chris's fund?  Not only does he get his II
upgraded, we get '040's that much sooner...

--