[comp.sys.mac.misc] HELP!! With ATM and Type1 & 3 PS Fonts

arun@ac.dal.ca (09/18/90)

Well, I recently purchased ATM from a friend of a friend of a friend that was on
a blank disk with no label on it but was supposed to be the original. When I
looked at the version number with 'get info' I see that it is 1.0d60. What
type of version is this. Did I get 'shafted'. I paid $20.00 for it. It came
with no fonts with it but I was able to find one Type 1 Adobe font on
Sumex that worked OK with it, though a little slow.

1] Where can I get an update to it, ie.version 2.0 or any other recent version.
this will be impossible from Adobe as I don't know under who it is registered.

2] Where in the world can I get Type 1 postscript printer files in PD, Share
ware etc. Could someone tell me an FTP site please or could you please E-mail
them to me.

3] Does anyone have a program that they can E-mail to me that will convert Type3
Postscript files to Type1 for use with ATM.

I Thank anyone who can help me out in this situation.

                         >>>ARUN MATHUR<<<
               Dalhousie University medical School
                  Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) (09/18/90)

(Casebook study of how not to buy software follows):

arun@ac.dal.ca writes:

>looked at the version number with 'get info' I see that it is 1.0d60. What
>type of version is this.

In standard Macintosh format, that's release 1.0 (2.0 is current),
Development release 60. That implies what you have is not only ancient, but
not even alpha or beta quality.

>Did I get 'shafted'. I paid $20.00 for it.

I would say so. Sorry.

>1] Where can I get an update to it, ie.version 2.0 or any other recent version.
>this will be impossible from Adobe as I don't know under who it is registered.

Without speaking officially for Adobe, I'd say legally you are not only up a
creek but the canoe's hit a rock. To get a legal upgrade, you'd either need
to know the name of the registered user or have the original distribution
disk to show proof of purchase. What you have is a disk worth about $1.00 on
the open market with a piece of (probably) pirated software that is, at
best, exceptionally ancient and probably very unstable to boot. Great bargain.

>2] Where in the world can I get Type 1 postscript printer files in PD, Share
>ware etc. Could someone tell me an FTP site please or could you please E-mail
>them to me.

inexpensive Type 1 fonts are still very rare. As the new, improved, Type 1
compatible Fontographer gets used, you'll see more and more of them.

>3] Does anyone have a program that they can E-mail to me that will convert Type3
>Postscript files to Type1 for use with ATM.

I don't know of one, but if it doesn't exist now (Type 1 being a relative
newcomer to the open standards world) it will down the road. Probably
commercial, though. (If someone knows otherwise, I'd like to find out myself)

>I Thank anyone who can help me out in this situation.

You're best bet: chalk it up to experience, call up MacConnection (or
whatever) and buy yourself a real copy. There's no way, based on what you
said, that you can get a legitimate copy. And, obviously, it'd be wrong to
pirate the software.
--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

mumble..mumble...mumble...mumbleLemieuxSCORE!!!!!!!...mumble...mumble..mumble

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (09/18/90)

In article <44917@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) writes:
>>3] Does anyone have a program that they can E-mail to me that will convert Type3
>>Postscript files to Type1 for use with ATM.
>
>I don't know of one, but if it doesn't exist now (Type 1 being a relative
>newcomer to the open standards world) it will down the road. Probably
>commercial, though. (If someone knows otherwise, I'd like to find out myself)

Well, since you asked, Chuq --

Fontographer 3.1 -- a real gem in my opinion.  Too bad I don't have the $$
to spend on it -- I wouldn't use it enough to be worth the investment.

Evolution, by Image Club -- Has been shipping "real soon now" for over a
year.  Oh well, for $99 this could have potential some day.

Metamorphosis, by Altsys -- it'll suck the outlines our of a postscript
printer (or the downloadable?) and save them as Type 1 or Type 3.

That's all that I know of.  I had wanted a few months back to make a
shareware Type 3 -> Type 1 conversion program, but lack of time and
lack of documentation on both formats have relegated it to the
"projects I'd like to do sometime when I have the time" pile.

Ken
--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?