[comp.sys.mac.misc] No Distribution of LaserWriter Driver!

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (09/18/90)

A while back I offered to distribute a hacked version of the Apple LaserWriter
driver that would automatically produce a Postscript file without resorting to
the F/K trick. Unfortunately, the powers that be have told me that this
distribution is illegal:

>From:	IN%"Tom_Dowdy.SNARKMAIL_A_K@gateway.qm.apple.COM"  "Tom Dowdy" 17-SEP-1990 22:30:33.05
>To:	KSBOLDUAN%AMHERST.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.EDU
>Subj:	RE>Re- <None>

>      Snausages! From the office of Tom Dowdy
>       Regarding: RE>Re: <None>
>While there is semi-public distribution of Apple system software, this is VERY
>different from "public domain"...

>You may NOT distribute any of it without a license to do so.

>Posting or distributing instructions on how to perform the modification is
>probably okay, but I'm not a lawyer, so don't complain to me.

>Tom

So, there it is, straight from the top. If, however, I can locate the
instructions (I think I have them somewhere) that say  how this hack is done, I
will take my chances and post them on the net.

Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

P.S. Is it just me or, given the availability-the "semi-public" nature-of the
Apple System Software does this seem like an odd restriction?

macman@wpi.UUCP (Chris Silverberg) (09/18/90)

In article <10165.26f55045@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>A while back I offered to distribute a hacked version of the Apple LaserWriter
>driver that would automatically produce a Postscript file without resorting to
>the F/K trick. Unfortunately, the powers that be have told me that this
>distribution is illegal:
(message omitted)

>So, there it is, straight from the top. If, however, I can locate the
>instructions (I think I have them somewhere) that say  how this hack is done,
>I will take my chances and post them on the net.

Don't worry about doing that... customizing (or hacking) software for your
own private use has always been allowable providing you are not distributing
it. Thus, there's not reason why you can post instructions on modifications.
That's YOUR knowledge that you're making public, not anyone elses.

>P.S. Is it just me or, given the availability-the "semi-public" nature-of the
>Apple System Software does this seem like an odd restriction?

No, everyone does it. There is alot of software that is distributed as
FREEWARE, which is public and free, but the author retains the copyright.
In some respect, Apple System Software is ALMOST freeware, expect they DO
tend to control the distribution a bit.

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"