[comp.sys.mac.misc] Disable Call Waiting?

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (09/14/90)

A friend of mine is having problems with using a modem on his
telephone line, which has call waiting.  Every time an incoming call
happens, he gets the "beep" tone, which usually clobbers his
modem connection to the remote host.  The instructions for
his communications program tell him that he can disable call
waiting by keying in "* 70" on the phone keypad and waiting
for the second dialtone.  However, he never gets the second
dialtone when he tries it.

Does anyone know whether there is any general method for
disabling call waiting?  Would it even be the same from
one town to another if the local phone company used different
switches?  If you have any experience in this area, I'd
appreciate an email message or a posting.

Thanks!
-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

pmeyer@ecocd7.intel.com (Paul Meyer) (09/14/90)

In article <11860@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) writes:
>The instructions for
>his communications program tell him that he can disable call
>waiting by keying in "* 70" on the phone keypad and waiting
>for the second dialtone.  However, he never gets the second
>dialtone when he tries it.

	I've got a tougher one.  I can disable call waiting when I call
into a computer, but my work has a dial-back system, where I call in,
type the password, then it calls me back at home.  I can't type *70
before the call because the computer is calling me!
	There is supposed to be a way to disable call waiting on an
incoming call by switching to the other line, typing *70, and then
switching back to the first line.  The problem is that whenever I try to
switch lines by clicking, my computer glitches on the click and hangs
up.  Any solutions out there?

** Paul Meyer (602)554-2078 ** "I remember reading somewhere that men learn **
** Intel Corp. CH3-40       ** to love the person they're attracted to and  **
** 5000 W. Chandler Blvd.   ** that women become more and more attracted to **
** Chandler, AZ 85210       ** the person that they love."                  **
** pmeyer@cmdnfs.intel.com  **    Sex, Lies, and Videotape                  **

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (09/14/90)

From: leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue):
>The instructions for
>his communications program tell him that he can disable call
>waiting by keying in "* 70" on the phone keypad and waiting
>for the second dialtone.  However, he never gets the second
>dialtone when he tries it.

You won't get a second dial tone with some exchanges.
My sister had the same problem. What she has to do is pick
up the phone, dial *70, (for some reason, it doesn't work
when I program the modem to do it), then have the modem
dial the number. After the modem dials, gently hang up
the receiver.
                                --clark

Clark Anderson                InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
PCB Software Tools            AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc           BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (09/14/90)

In article <94@inews.intel.com> pmeyer@ecocd7.intel.com (Paul Meyer) writes:
>	I've got a tougher one.  I can disable call waiting when I call
>into a computer, but my work has a dial-back system, where I call in,
>type the password, then it calls me back at home.  I can't type *70
>before the call because the computer is calling me!

Is it possible to talk to the administrator of the system that
you're calling to include "*70" along with your telephone number?
I've never had to deal with a dial-back security system but short
of getting conference line capability, it seems to be the most
logical way to deal with this call-waiting problem.  Of course,
if the remote's modem can't dial "*" or have more than 11
characters as the phone number, you're out of luck.

Ken
  Kenneth K.F. Lui        |   Other paths you can use: tempest@csuchico,
  tempest@csuchico.edu    |   tempest@{cscihp|walleye}.csuchico.edu
__________________________|__________________________________________________

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (09/14/90)

In article <11860@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) writes:
> Does anyone know whether there is any general method for
> disabling call waiting?  Would it even be the same from
> one town to another if the local phone company used different
> switches?  If you have any experience in this area, I'd
> appreciate an email message or a posting.

On my phone, I dial 1170,5551212 and it disables the call waiting. I've never
had any problems with this method. Hope this helps.

Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (09/14/90)

>>type the password, then it calls me back at home.  I can't type *70
>>before the call because the computer is calling me!
>
>Is it possible to talk to the administrator of the system that
>you're calling to include "*70" along with your telephone number?

If _I_ call you, and dial *70, will I disable _your_ call waiting?

I think I would just disable my own.  So unless your have
call waiting on the line at work, this ain't gonna work..

-george

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep14.031451.19329@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:

   Is it possible to talk to the administrator of the system that
   you're calling to include "*70" along with your telephone number?

This won't help.  This would tell the system doing the call-back to
turn off call waiting, which is NOT what you want.

Alan D. Danziger,            | Reality is a function of the delusion factor
753 South St,Waltham MA 02154| If at first you DO succeed, Congratulations
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | For those about to Rock, we salute you
MB 3130/Brandeis University  | Life's a beach & then you drown! Catch the Wave
PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254 | (617) 894-6859                   (617) 647-3720

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (09/19/90)

In article <6267@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>This would disable call waiting for the host computer's modem line.  I'm
>sure that the system administrator does not suscribe to call waiting.
>The only real solution to this problem would be #3 or #4.

Here's something that you might consider. When I'm using my modem I am usually:

A) just commanding and watching or

B) downloading/uploading

"A" is not critical FOR ME. If I get the tone on my phone
indicating that a call is
coming in, it doesn't do much damage. Wait long enough and the caller figures
your unable to answer the phone (a correct assumption since you're already on
it :-).

"B" is critical but whenever I do it, I do not use streaming. I use a protocol
that can handle the bumps (kermit, x,y,z modem, you name it).

The real problem is that with nornal defaults on hayes type modems, the tone
comming in to signal the call interrupts the carrier that you are communicating
with. This causes the modem to (when it sees that the carrier is gone) drop the
call. Nasty. Anyone phoning in can interrupt your session.

HOWEVER

There is a parameter register for the modem (I fergit which one it is off
hand..read your manual :-) that you can INCREASE the "carrier missing" delay to
(say) 20 or 30 seconds. Now the missing carrier will not result in the session
being dropped, only the loss of some data during the incoming tone (ie.
"ringing") cycle.

This works for me anyway, I supose it depends on your application.

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM