[comp.sys.mac.misc] A/UX 2.0 and ImageWriter LQ

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (09/18/90)

In article <BARNETT.90Sep14021622@grymoire.crd.ge.com> I write:

>   Still waiting for my free A/UX [2.0] upgrade.

I just got it yesderday! Looks like a nice package.

I am somewhat upset to discover that I have to buy an Appletalk board
for my ImageWriter LQ. With just a serial connection, I can print Mac
documents, but cannot use lpr(1).

Why does the ImageWriter LQ require the Appletalk board?
The ImageWriter does not require this upgrade.

Grumble. Grumble. mutter...
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) (09/19/90)

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:

>I am somewhat upset to discover that I have to buy an Appletalk board
>for my ImageWriter LQ. With just a serial connection, I can print Mac
>documents, but cannot use lpr(1).

You do? Why? You should be able to select it from the chooser. The unix side
comes, by default, configured to print to whatever is selected in the chooser.
It doesn't have to be either an appletalk or postscript device -- take a
look at /usr/spool/lpd/AppleTalk/ifilter for details on how they do that.

The one gotcha -- there's a bug in 2.0 with serial printers. To work
properly, plug it into the modem port (and if you have a modem, plug it into
the printer port). With serial devices this won't muck up MacOS and it all
should work fine.

This should really be in comp.unix.aux, so I'm sending followups there.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

mumble..mumble...mumble...mumbleLemieuxSCORE!!!!!!!...mumble...mumble..mumble