[comp.sys.mac.misc] Fwd: Boy, I bet Apple feels silly now...

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (09/21/90)

---------- Forwarded message begins here ----------

From: wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Shipley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
Subject: Boy, I bet Apple feels silly now...
Date: 18 Sep 90 22:35:48 GMT

In the BaNG Journal volume 1 number 1, page 15, Michael Mayer quotes
Bud Tribble (VP of Software Engineering at NeXT) on the restrictions
Apple placed on NeXT five years ago, in order to ensure they didn't
compete:

"They said that any new machine NeXT developed had to to run at 20 MHz
or more and have at least 4 MB of RAM, 100 MB of disk space and one
million pixels on the screen.  We were thrilled.  These were almost
exactly the minimum standards we had set for ourselves."

Well, today at the big unveiling Jobs announced the NeXTstation (which
will be reviewed to death by others, so I'll be brief), which NeXT
document number N6030 describes as:

8 MB of RAM, 105 MB of hard disk, and a MegaPixel display.  And a 68040.
All for $4,995 retail.

Boy, I bet Apple feels silly now.  You know, if I were going to limit
somebody from competing with me, I'd ask him to produce _inferior_
products, not superior ones.

-william shipley

NOTE: See how everything in this posting is from published sources!