[comp.sys.mac.misc] Colour icon highlighting: SunDesk vs. System 7

goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) (09/21/90)

I really like the way SunDesk displays selected colour icons: all the colours
are made darker so that the icon is a darker version of its normal self.

From what I've seen of the icl8 colour icon editor in ResEdit 2, System
7 will invert all the colours of a selected colour icon with the result
that the selected icon looks like a photographic negative.  It would be nice
if Apple dimmed the colours instead of reversing them.

Does anyone know if System 7 does indeed reverse the colours?
--
Goz Lyv, goz@vm.ucsf.edu, (415) 476-1388
UCSF Information Technology Services, San Francisco CA 94143-0704

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (09/21/90)

In article <3165@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> goz@vm.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Goz Lyv) writes:
>I really like the way SunDesk displays selected colour icons: all the colours
>are made darker so that the icon is a darker version of its normal self.

>From what I've seen of the icl8 colour icon editor in ResEdit 2, System
>7 will invert all the colours of a selected colour icon with the result
>that the selected icon looks like a photographic negative.  It would be nice
>if Apple dimmed the colours instead of reversing them.

>Does anyone know if System 7 does indeed reverse the colours?

Indeed it does... not sure if i'm happy with that either...

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (09/21/90)

In article <15815@wpi.WPI.EDU> macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
>In article <3165@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> goz@vm.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Goz Lyv) writes:

>>Does anyone know if System 7 does indeed reverse the colours?
>
>Indeed it does... not sure if i'm happy with that either...

  First, System 7.0a9 does NOT reverse the colors.  What it does is invert
the BLACK AND WHITE icon, which does not produce odious results.

  Second, as of the Developer Conference in May, the Human Interface Group
had not decided how System 7 was going to integrate color in a number of
ways:

  1)  The issue of how to invert was not finally settled.

  2)  Guidelines regarding direction and brightness of the desktop's
"lighting" were not finalized.

  3) It was not decided whether to make greyscale window frames and
scrollbars standard.  There is a way to patch a9 to make them greyscale, but
I don't know it.  Does anyone else, by the way?  I'd like to.

-- Mark Wilkins