[comp.sys.mac.misc] Partition map trashed

jjoshua@remus.rutgers.edu (J. Joshua) (09/18/90)

My partition map just got trashed and I am having one heck of a time
fixing thing.  The big problem is that most programs will not see the
drive and they won't fix things on the drive level - only the
partition level.  Norton's can recover all the files on the disk but
this is taking a LONG time - 300Meg disk.

Is there any way to reconstruct the partition m or should I just
recover with Norton's, reformat the drive, and put everything back?

Oh yeah,  I have anotheer drive to recover info to.

JOn.
--
 ________

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/22/90)

In article <Sep.18.11.47.12.1990.28403@remus.rutgers.edu> jjoshua@remus.rutgers.edu (J. Joshua) writes:

>My partition map just got trashed and I am having one heck of a time
>fixing thing.  The big problem is that most programs will not see the
>drive and they won't fix things on the drive level - only the
>partition level.  Norton's can recover all the files on the disk but
>this is taking a LONG time - 300Meg disk.
>
>Is there any way to reconstruct the partition m or should I just
>recover with Norton's, reformat the drive, and put everything back?

If you have true scsi partitions (not partitions that are actually Mac files),
try your formatting software.  Most formatting software has an option to
reinstall the driver, and this often rewrites the partition map too.

David