[comp.sys.mac.misc] Cray in a mac

coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep13.205858.22817@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>>>year's machine. If you wait 20 years, you'll be able to buy a Cray for

   20 years is a little overestimation I think.

>>>$100.
>>  Where can I put my name on the waiting list.  8-)
>
>Better be sure you have a couple of extra bedrooms and $70K a year for
>the two Cray engineers who will come to live with you.  After all, it
>wouldn't be a Cray if it could run for more than ten minutes without
>a hardware fault, now would it?  :-)

   "They" have come out with a CRAY on a RISC chip on a card for macs (says a
friend of mine) for ~$21,000.  The supposedly are going to order one for modeling
in the Biology dept. here at Purdue.  (My friend works there on macs).  I don't
know anything else but You can all send him mail. (He can thank me for this later)
he is here at  : hilbish@en.ecn.purdue.edu  (128.46.129.59)

P.S. Don't mention my name, that should really confuse him ;)  (just kidding)

coxr@en.ecn.purdue.edu       American Online : Rich Kid
"And the kids they dance, they shake their bones" -GD

peace,

-Rich

josip@ra.src.umd.edu (Josip Loncaric) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep20.044612.27210@ecn.purdue.edu> coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) writes:

>   20 years is a little overestimation I think.
>
>   "They" have come out with a CRAY on a RISC chip on a card for macs (says a
>friend of mine) for ~$21,000.  [stuff deleted]

I've recently read about a Levco board for Mac II featuring i860 processor
(theoretical peak 80 MFLOPs) for $5,500.  And of course, Spectral Innovations
has DSP32C based boards for Mac II or SE/30 (25 MFLOPs peak) at similar prices.
While 80 MFLOPs is not quite Cray teritory, it is very, very good... at a
reasonable price...

Of course, I am only quoting an article I saw...

--
Josip Loncaric / SRC / U. of Maryland / <josip@ra.src.umd.edu>
!            Today's Special: Opinions....$0.02 each         !

bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (09/24/90)

/ hpislx:comp.sys.mac.misc / coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) / 10:46 pm  Sep 19, 1990 /