[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple Laserwriters cost too much?

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (09/25/90)

On the issue of Apple pricing, it is not only their computers that are
overpriced.  Consider the following interesting comparison by Philip
Machanick from comp.sys.next:

In article <1990Sep25.052907.4351@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:

>Imagine you are in the market for a laser printer with a fast PostScript
>engine, e.g., a LaserWriter IINTX. Stanford (educational) price: $3820. Does
>NeXT offer an alternative? Their printer is 400dpi (which I presume is an
>advantage), but needs a NeXT workstation to drive it. Stanford price for a
>NeXT printer: $1229. Total for printer plus minimum NeXT: $4382. Now, this
>is $562 more than the Apple printer, but the LaserWriter doesn't have a
>nice 19" screen to preview your PostScript, or a 105M hard disk. Also, its
>processor isn't as fast as the NeXT's and it doesn't include a unix
>workstation in the price, or very much bundled software...
>--
>Philip Machanick

Anybody want to buy an Apple LaserWriter IINTX now?

Yes, I know that you can't directly hook a NeXT and its laserprinter up
to AppleTalk, since NeXT's come standard with crummy old ethernet
connections rather than AppleTalk.

But this is, again, ridiculous.

Apple, please.  Market share.  Think market share.

- Trent Lange