[comp.sys.mac.misc] Solarian II

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/20/90)

I grabbed the Solarian II file from Sumex today and tried to run it.
However, it tells me that I need color or 256 gray shades mode.  I
have a Mac IIcx with an E-Machines Big Picture monitor.  Am I
basically out of luck?

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.173343.7360@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@cunixa (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>I grabbed the Solarian II file from Sumex today and tried to run it.
>However, it tells me that I need color or 256 gray shades mode.  I
>have a Mac IIcx with an E-Machines Big Picture monitor.  Am I
>basically out of luck?

Yup, it only works in color or gray scale.  And as the owner of a gray
scale display, let me say that it looks pretty sad in shades of gray...

From a programming standpoint, you can't do color table animation on a
monochrome display, and it appears that at least some of the animation
is done that way.

Solarian is one of the most beautiful arcade games I've ever seen.
The character animation reminds me of the old Williams arcade games
like Defender, Stargate and Robotron, where lots of different colors
are used in each character, giving the characters themselves a very
high-rez look.

If you're a Mac dealer, you want Solarian running on your Apple RGB
displays...  I think it alone would sell more than Persuasion,
Powerpoint and PixelPaint combined.

Now if only I could convince myself that I really *needed* a color
monitor....   ;-)

(By the way, folks, if you play Solarian a lot, please send Ben a
check.  We'll be *very* lucky if he decides to write another game, and
I'm sure those $25 checks can be persuasive...)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (09/23/90)

Since we're on the subject of Solarian II, I would like to ask you a
question.  I have a Mac IIci, and for the life of me, I can't get it to run.
I bought the disk from Educorp, and have since returned it.  However,
whenever I started the game (regardless of how much memory I alotted to it
under Multifinder) I would get scrambled graphics - bunch of lines across the
screen.  I got the same result with Multifinder disabled.  I tried it both
under System 6.0.4 and 6.0.5 - no luck.

Do you know of any IIci-related problems?  Do you know if the author has
come up with a fix to make it run on the IIci?

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava

lu@druhi.ATT.COM (david lu) (09/26/90)

I'm looking for parts 4 and 5 for Solarian II.  I seemed to have missed
them when they came by my server.  If you have them and are willing to
mail them to me, I'd appreciate it.

-David
lu@druhi.att.com