[comp.sys.mac.misc] Font Harmony

hallett@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (09/25/90)

I've been getting some Adobe fonts lately and have noticed a problem.
It is generally accepted that Adobe is too lazy to combine the
typeface style families (ie. B Eurostile Bold -> Eurostile + BOLD
option).  When I got New Baskerville and Univers Condensed a couple of
years ago, Font Harmony did a good job of merging the styles.
However, the last few font familes I've gotten, Font Harmony has been
unable to do the job - I have had to go in manually and use ResEdit to
change the names of the style option families to precede them with a
% to keep them from appearing individually in the menus.

I did receive the update patcher that came out earlier this year and
applied it (however, the Get Info still says version 1.0 although the
modified date matches when I updated it).

Any clues? (Please email - I'll summarize)

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (09/26/90)

In article <HALLETT.90Sep25092817@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com> hallettJ@gemed writes:

>I've been getting some Adobe fonts lately and have noticed a problem.
>It is generally accepted that Adobe is too lazy to combine the
>typeface style families (ie. B Eurostile Bold -> Eurostile + BOLD

Actually, it was a conscious decision by Adobe not to combine families.
At first, I thought the policy stank and argued at length with someone
from Adobe.  In the end, he convinc me that they had made the right
decision.  For end users, it's probably OK to combine them since if
you subsequently take them to a type bureau that uses the unharmonized
version, your documents will still print.  The other way around is not
true.  If you've produced something using each individual fonts instead
of the different styles for each family and take it to a service
bureau that hasn't harmonized, your documents won't print.

The best solution, I think, is to leave them unharmonized and use
Adobe Type Reunion.  That way for simple families (Plain/Bold/Italic/BI)
you can simply use the styles and for more complex familes, you can
access the true face you desire via hierarchicals.

Ken
--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (09/26/90)

> I've been getting some Adobe fonts lately and have noticed a
> problem. It is generally accepted that Adobe is too lazy to
> combine the typeface style families (ie. B Eurostile Bold ->
> Eurostile + BOLD option).

Umm... in defense of Adobe.  It wasn't laziness.  It was Microsoft
(again!) with their non-standard font selection box in Word 1.05.  (How
many people out there remember Word 1.05?  I thought so.)  With Word's
market share of high-end word processors being essentially 100%, Adobe
-had- to adapt to it.  Then the kludge of B and I prefixes got
fossilized and we've been living with it ever since.

| Stephen Fleming        | In ten years, computers will just be  |
| fleming@cup.portal.com | bumps in cables.       --Gordon Bell  |
| BIX:   srfleming       | My employers may disagree vehemently. |