[comp.sys.mac.misc] ROM easter eggs in IIcx/IIci/IIfx?

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (09/25/90)

 I've heard an interesting rumor recently, which so far I haven't been
able to substantiate. Maybe someone else can debunk it, or...

 The gist is this: supposedly if you have the 512K ROM (IIci/IIfx),
and possibly even in the IIcx's ROM, there's some sort of hidden
slideshow/animation that can be invoked by setting the clock back
to the machine's date of introduction, then rebooting while holding
down all the modifier keys. I know about the digitized b&w slideshow
in the Mac SE ROMs, so this rumor would seem to have some credibility,
although the intro date would be a pretty shaky thing to depend on
for code that lived in ROM.

 Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact intro dates for the IIcx
or the IIci, and I don't have an fx handy. :(  This would be a sort of
Nifty Party Trick if it were true. Call me curious, or not. If you
know anything about this, please share it.

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) (09/27/90)

On a IIci set the date to 20 Sept 1989, restart and hold down cmd-option-c-i.
On a IIfx set the date to 19 Mar 1990, restart and hold down cmd-option-f-x.
--
Goz Lyv, goz@vm.ucsf.edu, (415) 476-1388
UCSF Information Technology Services, San Francisco CA 94143-0704

niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (09/28/90)

In article <3172@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> goz@vm.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Goz Lyv) writes:
>On a IIci set the date to 20 Sept 1989, restart and hold down cmd-option-c-i.
>On a IIfx set the date to 19 Mar 1990, restart and hold down cmd-option-f-x.
>--
>Goz Lyv, goz@vm.ucsf.edu, (415) 476-1388
>UCSF Information Technology Services, San Francisco CA 94143-0704

How about the IIcx? Anyone? Anyone?

Niko Schuessler               "On a two semester mission to engineer where
niko@iastate.edu               no-one has engineered before.... :-) "