[comp.sys.mac.misc] ROMs

ctm@tingley.cs.unm.edu (Clifford T. Matthews) (09/28/90)

In article <GOW.90Sep25102757@sakari.mrceg>, gow@sakari.mrceg (Ed Gow) writes:

|> >Outbound's laptop technology and licensed it back to the Colorado
|> >lap-Mac maker, and now they've deliberately shut down the legal suppy
|> >of Mac ROMs for these and other machines.
|> >  As of September 15, Apple stopped selling Mac ROMs to anyone, unless they
|> >are in exchange for a "broken" set.  Previously, Apple dealers and service
|> >centers could buy as many ROMs as they liked at $120 per set, but too many
|> >were ending up in Outbounds and in Mac emulators for other computers."
|>
|> My question is this, how does the Mac buying public feel about this
|> sort of business practice?  Personally I feel like, to put it bluntly,
|> they've been bending us over and now they're sticking it to us.  Since
|> there are now many other good GUIs coming out (in spite of Apple
|> lawyers' best efforts) can they afford this?
|>
|> 	-Ed
|> --
|> ------	Ed Gow 	------  uwm!mrsvr!gemed!sakari!gow  -----------
|>
|> 		My opinions are NOT those of GE.
|>   MGB - The most fun you can have in a car without a back seat

Greetings from ARDI,

With ROMlib-V1.0 shipping we are now concentrating on Executor and Filesystem
and device driver work.  We intend to manufacture ROMs that will allow
clones and portables to be made without any Apple hardware.  At our
current pace
we hope to have a true HFS implementation (that reads and writes blocks
directly
instead of using the UNIX filesystem) in beta by 12/1/90.  We'll still have to
do device drivers and stuff before we can even cook 'play' ROMs but that's the
type of work (UNIX device drivers and boot ROMs) I did for a living
before founding
ARDI.

Clifford T. Matthews
Abacus Research and Development, Inc.
1650 University Blvd.  NE
Albuquerque, NM  87102

(505) 766-9115

[ARDI is not affiliated with the University of New Mexico]

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/28/90)

-------
In article <1990Sep27.200237.4963@unmvax.cs.unm.edu>, ctm@tingley.cs.unm.edu (Clifford T. Matthews) writes...

>first bought
>|>
>|> My question is this, how does the Mac buying public feel about this
>|> sort of business practice?  Personally I feel like, to put it bluntly,
>|> they've been bending us over and now they're sticking it to us.  Since
>|> there are now many other good GUIs coming out (in spite of Apple
>|> lawyers' best efforts) can they afford this?
>|>
>|> 	-Ed

As a member of the Mac buying public I feel just fine about Apple protecting
distribution of their ROMs.  After all, they develop and manufacture them, and
have every right to protect their investment.

As you correctly point out, there are other good -- though in my opinion
inferior -- GUI's out on the market.  You are perfectly free to purchase them,
and with the exception of Windows/New Wave Apple is doing absolutely nothing to
hinder anyone's ability to exercise their free market prerogative (I don't want
to get into Windows vs. Apple right now; in all likelihood Windows would have
avoided the lawsuit had they been slightly more original, like Next, etc.).

If you don't want to buy Apple, fine.  But it's unreasonable to expect them to
develop the ROMs and then let you put them in another computer.  Why should
they?  It's Apple's duty to protect the future of the company.  I don't think
this should be at the expense of loyal customers, but I have no problems with
them stopping the illegal distribution of ROMS.

Remember: communism didn't work.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =