[comp.sys.mac.misc] nroff <--> RTF converter

gall@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Norm Gall) (09/29/90)

I desperately need a utility that will convert nroff/troff documents
to something like Rich Text Format (RTF).  I work on a Macintosh with
MS Word, but a converter to any major wp package would be great.

Please e-mail me at

gall@nexus.yorku.ca

Thanks,

Norm Gall
--
"It is not the task of philosophy to affirm or deny the existence of
things, but rather to clarify what assertions or denials of existence

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (09/30/90)

From article <15644@yunexus.YorkU.CA>, by gall@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Norm Gall):

> I desperately need a utility that will convert nroff/troff documents
> to something like Rich Text Format (RTF).  I work on a Macintosh with
> MS Word, but a converter to any major wp package would be great.

Even though it doesn't handle nroff/troff, you may be interested in
a MPW tool I've written. The following discription is from it's header.
Read '\b' as 'backspace'.

    Man2RTF is a quick hack to convert a text file to Rich Text Format.
    It converts some of the control sequences common in Un*x files into
    the equivalent RTF character formatting. It converts the following
    sequences:

        "a\ba"          =>  Bold 'a'
        "a\ba\ba"       =>  Bold 'a'
        "a\ba\ba\ba"    =>  Bold 'a'
        "_\ba"          =>  Underlined 'a'
        "_\ba\ba"       =>  Underlined Bold 'a'

If there's enough interest, I'll hack it to run under Un*x and post
it to comp.sources.mac.
--
Norman Graham   <norman@a.cs.okstate.edu>   {cbosgd,rutgers}!okstate!norman
The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of

mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) (09/30/90)

In article <15644@yunexus.YorkU.CA> gall@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Norm Gall) writes:

>I desperately need a utility that will convert nroff/troff documents
>to something like Rich Text Format (RTF).  I work on a Macintosh with
>MS Word, but a converter to any major wp package would be great.

	This isn't what you're asking for, but there's a program which
	converts from nroff/troff (or any similar text postprocessor)
	to MacWrite format.

	It's called MakeWrite, and was last issued in 1987.
--
Charlie Mingo					Internet: mingo@well.sf.ca.us
2209 Washington Circle #2			CI$:  71340,2152

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/01/90)

From article <20847@well.sf.ca.us>, by mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo):
> 	This isn't what you're asking for, but there's a program which
> 	converts from nroff/troff (or any similar text postprocessor)
> 	to MacWrite format.
>
> 	It's called MakeWrite, and was last issued in 1987.

That was written by me, and, yes, it's not what was asked for, but anyone
who wants it can get it ftp from indri.primate.wisc.edu [128.104.230.11].

I suppose that if you had a MacWrite-> RTF converter it might be useful
somehow.  nroff -> MakeWrite -> MacWrite -> Word -> RTF perhaps?  Ugh.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"