[comp.sys.mac.misc] Zterm .85

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/25/90)

I just grabbed a copy of Zterm .85 from Sumex.  I am using the
vt100 emulation on a Mac IIcx talking to a Sun 4 (SunOS 4.1).
I frequently have a problem with Zterm stripping the first
character of the line, adding a line feed, and then giving me
the rest of the line.  I've tried all kinds of things to get
this to stop with no luck.  Is this a common problem, bug,
"undocumented design feature?" :-)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep24.224214.25073@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>I just grabbed a copy of Zterm .85 from Sumex.  I am using the
>vt100 emulation on a Mac IIcx talking to a Sun 4 (SunOS 4.1).
>I frequently have a problem with Zterm stripping the first
>character of the line, adding a line feed, and then giving me
>the rest of the line.  I've tried all kinds of things to get
>this to stop with no luck.  Is this a common problem, bug,
>"undocumented design feature?" :-)

It's a tab bug. You can work around it by expanding tabs to spaces
with 'stty tab3'. Better fixes welcomed.

Mike Ching

psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (09/28/90)

To cure this problem you can select "Reset Term" from the "Misc" menu.
You have to do this after each time you launch ZTerm.

Richard Crispin              Phone:    (519)888-4781
Dept. of Psychology          Bitnet:   psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo       Internet: psych@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/02/90)

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my previous query.
Apparently, Zterm will behave properly (not add gratuitous linefeeds)
if you use the dialer in the menu rather than dialing manually.

One more problem:

Usually, then you use the menu dialer, on the first dialup try the
program connects with the remote system, but then sends a line feed
in the instant after connecting.  The effect is the modem disconnects.
This only seems to happen on the first try, as subsequent tries
connect just fine.

Anyone have an email address for the author?  I would use this program
on a more regular basis and pay the shareware fee if he/she would
clean up some of the more annoying bugs and clean up the vt100
emulation a bit.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Chris