[comp.sys.mac.misc] LaserWriter in public cluster software: Summary of responses

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (10/02/90)

About ten days ago, in article <1990Sep18.181049.24115@portia.Stanford.EDU>
I wrote:
>I administer two small Mac networks in my department here, including
>one departmental (semi-public) cluster.  I've discovered that none of
>the commercial software available for managing security or access to
>the machines is useful in the type of University environment that I
>deal with...
>As a result, I'm sending out a request for suggestions for software to
>help solve a problem with usage of the cluster LaserWriter.

I received quite a number of responses, and want to show my gratitude to
the net community as a whole by summarizing them here.  I am not yet
certain which will prove to be the most effective for our needs, but
they offer enough different options that anyone in a similar situation
may find something useful.

At Dartmouth College, they place a sturdy cardboard box with a hole in
the top and a sign indicating a 10 cent/page cost to cover paper, toner,
and routing maintenance.  A wonderfully honourable solution.

At Brown, they use a magcard reader attached to the LW -- much like the
copy machine cards used in many university libraries.

Berkeley Math uses a locally written "perl" language script to query
the printers about which users have printed how many pages on which
printer.

One other option which seems viable, but not in our particular
situation, is to install LaserFix on the machines in the Mac cluster,
and disconnect the LW from the network.  In this way, users could
"send" print jobs to postscript files on floppies.  A stand-alone Mac
with the LW in some more supervised area with a copy of a utility like
SendPS, to allow users to send the postscript file to the LW, would
allow any printable file to be printed, even without the application
which generated the output on the machine with the printer.  The
nuisance of saving the file and printing it on a different machine is
substantial, but should cut down on printing of multiple draft copies,
and if sufficiently supervised, could cut down on printing multiple
copies of documents.

R. Silverman of Wesleyan has written a modified LaserPrep file, which
contains a number of features which can be individually enabled or
disabled.  It can (i) limit the number of copies per job; (ii) print a
trailer page after every job with user and document name, number of
pages, and, optionally, a charge for the job; (iii) limit the number of
pages in a job; (iv) disallow manual feed.  The modified LaserPrep file
can also change the printer password to prevent using another LaserPrep
file (since the password is stored in non-volatile memory, it survives
when the printer is turned off).  Both the postscript LaserPrep file and
accompanying documentation are available by anonymous ftp from
eagle.wesleyan.edu.

I've been trying to get information about an application by Jim Burns
called "LaserCount".  If I understand correctly, you log onto the
printer with a userid and password, and the printer keeps count of the
pages you print.  According to Mr. Burns, the product has not sold
well in the past, and may no longer be commercially available.
Unfortunately the distributor, an outfit whose answering service
alternately answers the phone "CompuWare" and "LaserCount", has failed
to return any of my phone calls.  Their number (in Texas, but it
forwards to NJ -- I don't have a better number, sorry) is
(512) 327-2778.  If anyone gets more information, I've received enough
requests for info about LaserCount to warrant a summary to the
newsgroup.

Because LaserCount stores its information in the printer memory, it is
lost after power down, so would only be suitable if the printer could
not be generally accessed.  It might be possible to rely on user
naivete by changing the printer password so no printing could be done
after turning the printer off until a LaserPrep with the correct
password could be manually downloaded.  This might prove a sufficient
threat to keep people from turning off the LaserWriter.  One would
have to rely on their not discovering that the information was stored
in the LW; otherwise a malicious user could print a large job then
turn the LW off, clearing their account and only inconveniencing other
users.

Finally, the high tech solution for a Mac cluster already connected to
UNIX machines via LocalTalk-Ethernet gateway (e.g. Shiva FastPath)
would be to run CAP and Transcript on the UNIX machines and connect
the PostScript LW to one of the UNIX machines.  A hacked version of
lwsrv (the original of which comes with CAP) forwards the print job to
the printer only if the user has a valid user name and password (as
determined by querying the UserInfo daemon residing on the user's
Mac); the local accounting system keeps track of pages and cost.

I realize I've just given a brief summary here; if anyone is
interested in more details, send me e-mail and I'll send you
everything I have about the particular option you're interested in.

  == Daniel ==                     Daniel Sternbergh
                                   ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu
                                   Local Network Administrator
                                   Materials Science & Engineering