[comp.sys.mac.misc] Hard disk deal query.

bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) (09/29/90)

First a (presumably) basic question.  I'm currently running a Mac+ with a
DataFrame 20 HD.  I'd like to get more disk space (who wouldn't? ;-)) and
am looking around.  My question is:  Can I use any SCSI drive and chain it
to my DataFrame20 or must it be a DataFrame?  And if I can chain another
vendors drive, which vendor offers the best deal (price/reliability/etc.)?
Thanks in advance for any info.

--Bill

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (10/02/90)

In article <8643@ncar.ucar.edu> bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) writes:
>First a (presumably) basic question.  I'm currently running a Mac+ with a
>DataFrame 20 HD.  I'd like to get more disk space (who wouldn't? ;-)) and
>am looking around.  My question is:  Can I use any SCSI drive and chain it
>to my DataFrame20 or must it be a DataFrame?  And if I can chain another
>vendors drive, which vendor offers the best deal (price/reliability/etc.)?
>Thanks in advance for any info.
>
>--Bill

You can certainly add any Mac SCSI hard disk to your SCSI chain, with
certain care setting up termination. You will have to insure that
only the drive on the end of the chain is terminated.

Some of your df locked utilities may not work. I'm not sure
whether Diskfit will back up any disk or only Supermac disks, or
if it will work if a df disk is on the chain, or if it is run from
a df boot disk. Call their support number and find out.

Those are the only problems:

	1. Termination/Cabling issues.

	2. Dataframe locked utilities.

As to price/reliability/etc. My inclinations are:

	1. Supermac XP-series
		* Price: So-So, you get what you pay for.
		* Reliability: excellent
		* Customer Support: excellent
		* Speed: very good, used to be the top, I hear others
			 are faster now, but lots are slower.

	2. Buy a generic embedded SCSI drive, a case/power supply
	   and Silverlining formatting software.
		* Silverlining: $95 at Computerware last I looked.
		* Case/Power Supply: About $80
		* Cables/Terminators: About $50
	   Gee, $225 spent without the disk drive! There's a crossover point
	   where this is the best route. At 300 Meg you definitely win, at
	   20 Meg you definitely lose. You also lose because you have to
	   defend on three vendors for warranty and customer support.

I can deal with the problems involved with choice 2. When I go to get
my next drive it will probably be considered strongly depending on the
size of the drive I get. You may not be able to. Nothing wrong with
that, my job involves this sort of thing daily. Find a techy friend.
Join a user group.

There are lots of disk drive vendors out there. I think you should pick
one on merits like stability, customer support, and such, not on fast
or cheap. Don't rely on the glossy mags, either. One of them came out
with a disk drive review placing Jasmine at the top of the heap,
*after* all the complaints started surfacing about their problems.

jim
--
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6115
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086