[comp.sys.mac.misc] STRATEGO

jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) (09/26/90)

I recently downloaded Stratego from the sumex-aim.stanford.edu site and am
wondering if that is the latest version?  The last modification date is
1988 and the author (Ken McLeod) stated that a newer version will have
communications for modem and direct link/local networks.

If anyone can help me get my hands on the newest version or get me in contact
with Ken (he said he can be reached through BBS boards Applebus and Desktop
- I have both numbers - but this was two years ago), reply via e-mail.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
---
                ___---
  +------__--~~~   _~--------------------------------------------------------+
  | __-~~        _~   "You could feel the wind at your back in those days... |
 _-~            ~_    the sound of the sea beneath you...even if you take    |
~-_              ~_   away the wind and the water, it's still the same. The  |
  |~--_           ~_   ship is yours, you can feel her, and the stars are    |
  |    ~~--__      ~_   still there, Bones." - Kirk, The Ultimate Computer   |
  +----------~~~---_~_-------------------------------------------------------+
  | Hailing Frequencies Closed.                "Captain" D. Joseph Creighton |

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep26.134714.28620@ccu.umanitoba.ca> jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (D. Joseph Creighton) writes:
>I recently downloaded Stratego from the sumex-aim.stanford.edu site and am
>wondering if that is the latest version?  The last modification date is
>1988...

 And a long two years it's been, to be sure. I have good news and bad news.
The good news is that a new version of Stratego is finally available. The
bad news is that 2-player-via-Appletalk/modem stuff wasn't considered a
"priority", and didn't make it into this initial release. The other bad news
[depending on your point of view] is that Stratego is now a commercial
product, licensed by Milton Bradley and published by Accolade.

 The release version of Stratego features a much-improved computer opponent.
(This turned out to be MUCH tougher to implement than expected, since
the computer only has partial knowledge of the opposing pieces.) It also
features a number of "tournament" rule variations, a multi-game "campaign"
mode, and a library of opening setups. The game runs on any Mac with 1MB
RAM (actually, it requires considerably less than that on "classic-type"
Macs, and will run on the 512E), is MultiFinder/System 7/32-bit friendly,
and has nifty 256-color graphics for machines that support color. There
are multiple game boards and piece sets to choose from.

 Take a look at this month's MacWorld (Oct.'90, pp.286-87) for a screen
shot and more info. (I'm told they're planning to review it in an upcoming
issue.)  Stratego is in the distribution "pipeline" and should be showing
up on shelves and mail-order ads any day now. Please contact Accolade for
availability-type questions; their number is 408/985-1700.

 Oops, this is starting to sound like a press release. Sorry about that. :)
Followups to comp.sys.mac.games...

-ken

--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud