[comp.sys.mac.misc] 170Meg Wren Hard Drive for sale

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (09/19/90)

Well, I had so much success selling my SIMMs last week I thought I'd
give this a shot.

I am upgrading my system to a larger drive and would therefore like to
sell my current drive.

The drive is a Wren V 170 meg (approx formatted capacity) half-height
drive.  SCSI probe reports that it is model 94221-5 (Version 5982).
The drive has a 16.1ms (Or is it 16.7? I forget) access time.

This number is misleading though, as the Wren's are well known performance
champs, and in most settings will far outperform the (nominally rated)
15ms quantum drives due to their much higher transfer rates.

The drive is a bit less than a year old, and was bought from Micronet.

The drive is mounted in micronet's custom mounting bracket which allows
the drive to be mounted in a Mac IIcx or IIci.  The drive fits perfectly
and does not interfere with the use of the nubus slots. (Micronet is the
only company I am aware of that has managed to package these 5 1/4"
mechanisms for the IIcx/ci).

I am asking $1100 obo.  I would also consider selling the drive
and mounting bracket separately if I get appropriate offers. The bracket
could be used to mount any 5.25" half-height mechanism in a IIcx/ci.

Josh Hodas

Josh Hodas    			Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street		School Office Phone: (215) 898-2911
Philadelphia, PA 19104		New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu

niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (09/19/90)

$1100?? I'm quite sure I saw a 210MB quantum for < $1000 in the last
MacWorld I saw.....

Niko Schuessler               "On a two semester mission to engineer where
niko@iastate.edu               no-one has engineered before.... :-) "

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.211525.14186@news.iastate.edu> niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:

>$1100?? I'm quite sure I saw a 210MB quantum for < $1000 in the last
>MacWorld I saw.....

Yep, if you look hard enough you can find ~300mb SCSI drives for about
$1100.  That price does seem a bit on the steep side for a USED 170
meg device.  No?

>Niko Schuessler               "On a two semester mission to engineer where
>niko@iastate.edu               no-one has engineered before.... :-) "

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

In article <1990Sep18.230914.4427@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <1990Sep18.211525.14186@news.iastate.edu> niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:
>>
>>$1100?? I'm quite sure I saw a 210MB quantum for < $1000 in the last
>>MacWorld I saw.....
>
>Yep, if you look hard enough you can find ~300mb SCSI drives for about
>$1100.  That price does seem a bit on the steep side for a USED 170
>meg device.  No?

First of all, I said  I would like to get $1100, not that that is the only
offer I would consider.

Second of all, as of my last check the Quantum 210 does not exist as a
shipping product (this was as of last week).

Third of all, The Imprimis Wren V is a faster drive, as was stated in the
original post. It is faster in a way that truely matters for fast machines --
it has a much higher transfer rate.

This drive is going for $1100-1200 new, but without the custom
mounting hardware.  Micronet's price for this drive is still above
$2,000.  Now I don't think the mounting hardware is worth $800 but it
is a very useful, and virtually impossible to find piece of hardware.

As I said, I will certainly consider all reasonable offers.

Josh Hodas
Josh Hodas    			Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street		School Office Phone: (215) 898-2911
Philadelphia, PA 19104		New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu

niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.230914.4427@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <1990Sep18.211525.14186@news.iastate.edu> niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:
>>
>>$1100?? I'm quite sure I saw a 210MB quantum for < $1000 in the last
>>MacWorld I saw.....
>
>Yep, if you look hard enough you can find ~300mb SCSI drives for about
>$1100.  That price does seem a bit on the steep side for a USED 170
>meg device.  No?

Is there an INTERNAL 300mb drive for a IIcx for around $1000???

Niko Schuessler               "On a two semester mission to engineer where
niko@iastate.edu               no-one has engineered before.... :-) "

In article <1990Sep18.230914.4427@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

| Yep, if you look hard enough you can find ~300mb SCSI drives for about
| $1100.  That price does seem a bit on the steep side for a USED 170
| meg device.  No?

  How about Maxtor XT-3280s for $800? Unused, 90 day warrantee, 244MB
SCSI, 30ms seek?

  "There's a sucker born every minute" -P.T.Barnum
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

jliu@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Joe Liu) (09/19/90)

In article <2688@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:

>  "There's a sucker born every minute" -P.T.Barnum
>--

   How many suckees are born each minute ?

Joe

weihrich@uniol.UUCP (Thomas Weihrich) (09/20/90)

niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:

>$1100?? I'm quite sure I saw a 210MB quantum for < $1000 in the last
>MacWorld I saw.....

Mr. Eric Zamost arranged a deal for 300 Megs Wren IV s for 950 US$
about two month ago...

Thomas Weihrich
Thomas Weihrich
weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
weihrich@uniol.uucp
bitnet : 025482@DOLUNI1

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep20.021730.5681@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
>
>>Third of all, The Imprimis Wren V is a faster drive, as was stated in the
>>original post. It is faster in a way that truely matters for fast machines --
>>it has a much higher transfer rate.
>
>I can put you in touch with a place selling NEW CDC Wren IV drives (280MB)
>for $950 -

Please tell us!  I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to know.  BTW,
e-mail bouced repeatedly (even ! paths).

--
Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc@shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,tsci,egsner}!shibaya!afc

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (09/22/90)

In article <29764@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
|[...]
|Second of all, as of my last check the Quantum 210 does not exist as a
|shipping product (this was as of last week).

	Quantom 210 is indeed shipping - I've seen some
	with my own eyes, i the developer version of the
	Amiga 3000UX Unix box...

|Third of all, The Imprimis Wren V is a faster drive, as was stated in the
|original post. It is faster in a way that truely matters for fast machines --
|it has a much higher transfer rate.

	Quantum drives are perhaps faster than you
	credit. They have an excellent seek time, plus
	they have a lot of well-managed cache memory...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (09/24/90)

In article <40179@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>|Third of all, The Imprimis Wren V is a faster drive, as was stated in the
>|original post. It is faster in a way that truely matters for fast machines --
>|it has a much higher transfer rate.
>
>	Quantum drives are perhaps faster than you
>	credit. They have an excellent seek time, plus
>	they have a lot of well-managed cache memory...

CDC drives stamp all over Quantum drives.  They make the Quantum
drives look SLOW...

>--
>  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
>a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
> `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
> _< /_	 "I still have my phil-os-o-phy" - Meredith Monk

			See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
565 South Zeeb Rd.         | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Ann Arbor, MI 48103        | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 662-1506

ardai@sol.bu.edu (Michael Ardai) (09/26/90)

In article <2688@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
-In article <1990Sep18.230914.4427@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
-  How about Maxtor XT-3280s for $800? Unused, 90 day warrantee, 244MB
-SCSI, 30ms seek?

Or $425 used (30 day warantee) from Eli Heffron and Sons in Cambridge?

\|/ Michael L. Ardai     ardai@bu-pub.bu.edu
--- ---------------------------------------------------------------
/|\ ...!sun!teda!ardai (preferred)

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (10/01/90)

In article <3452@uniol.UUCP> weihrich@uniol.UUCP (Thomas Weihrich) writes:
>niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:
>

>>$1100?? I'm quite sure I saw a 210MB quantum for < $1000 in the last
>>MacWorld I saw.....
>
>Mr. Eric Zamost arranged a deal for 300 Megs Wren IV s for 950 US$
>about two month ago...

Only problem with that is that it is not SCSI-2 compatible, nor do the
drives do synchronous transfers.  This limits the drive's transfer speed
and it will be going out with the SCSI-1 specs.  Only Wren series V- do
synchronous transfers, and the only drives so far that are SCSI-2 are
Quantum drives, and they are hard to find because of their demand (large
backorders).  SCSI-2 should do up to 5 Mb/sec (yes, megabytes) at its peak
speed with the proper controller.

Vince

jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey B Nicholson) (10/01/90)

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) writes:

>Only problem with that is that it is not SCSI-2 compatible...
> [rest deleted]

I thought that all SCSI-I was upwardly compatible to SCSI-II.  Is this not
so?

--
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
| jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu | *These opinions are mine*  This .signature is |

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (10/01/90)

From article <1990Oct1.002316.4297@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio):

> Only problem with that is that it is not SCSI-2 compatible, nor do the
> drives do synchronous transfers.  This limits the drive's transfer speed
> and it will be going out with the SCSI-1 specs.  Only Wren series V- do
> synchronous transfers, and the only drives so far that are SCSI-2 are
> Quantum drives, and they are hard to find because of their demand (large
> backorders).  SCSI-2 should do up to 5 Mb/sec (yes, megabytes) at its peak
> speed with the proper controller.

Nice points, but do they mean anything here? Do any products in the
Macintosh line do synchronous transfers? I know that none would be
considered SCSI-2. How many of the products in the Macintosh line
can outrun an asychronous drive at ~1 Mbyte/sec?

Fast drives are nice, but they require fast controllers. And don't
believe every marketing brochure you see. Just because you have a
drive that's advertised for 5 MB/s and a controller that's advertised
at 5 MB/s doesn't mean you can plug them together and they will run
at 5 MB/s.

And is transfer speed even the correct parameter to look at? Let's look
at a drive with an average access time of 20 ms. At 1 MB/s, 20 ms is
used for 20 kB. At 5 MB/s, that's 100 kB. If your typical disk access
is <= 5 kb, you're spending more time looking for the data than moving
it from the disk.

And to be picky:

All synchronous drives will also transfer asynchronous. It's required.

And SCSI-1 will do up to 5MB/s. SCSI-2 will (someday, maybe) do up
to 40 MB/s.

--
William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (10/02/90)

In article <128645@jake.encore.com> wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) writes:

>Nice points, but do they mean anything here? Do any products in the
>Macintosh line do synchronous transfers? I know that none would be
>considered SCSI-2. How many of the products in the Macintosh line
>can outrun an asychronous drive at ~1 Mbyte/sec?

Well, I was commenting on the Wren IV from Mr. Zamost, which is along the
PC line (unless you get cases, I suppose).  The PC line is faster than 1
Mbyte/sec.

>Fast drives are nice, but they require fast controllers. And don't
>believe every marketing brochure you see. Just because you have a
>drive that's advertised for 5 MB/s and a controller that's advertised
>at 5 MB/s doesn't mean you can plug them together and they will run
>at 5 MB/s.

Of course not, but then again there are combinations that will.

>And is transfer speed even the correct parameter to look at? Let's look
>at a drive with an average access time of 20 ms. At 1 MB/s, 20 ms is
>used for 20 kB. At 5 MB/s, that's 100 kB. If your typical disk access
>is <= 5 kb, you're spending more time looking for the data than moving
>it from the disk.

With drive caching, this should not be a problem, because the data should
be in the cache already (depending upon the application you are using,
and other factors....)

>And to be picky:
>
>All synchronous drives will also transfer asynchronous. It's required.

Of course everything is a subset of the older stuff, for compatability
reasons.  But an asynchronous controller won't add anything for a
synchronous drive as speed goes.

>And SCSI-1 will do up to 5MB/s. SCSI-2 will (someday, maybe) do up
>to 40 MB/s.

I hope so.

Vince

os9paul@gkcl.ists.ca (Paul Good) (10/02/90)

Would those contributing to this thread please not cross-post to the
misc.forsale.computers Newsgroup.  Just remove it's reference from the
Newsgroups:  header.  Thank you.

Paul Good   INTERNET: os9paul@gkcl.ists.ca   UUCP: ists!gkcl.ists.ca!os9paul

kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) (10/02/90)

--Dietrich--

| kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu	|  "Suspicion is the badge of	     |
| 					|   base-born minds, 		     |
|					|   understands."		     |
| "My opinions are entirely my own,	| 		-Virginia Moore      |
|  for who else would want them?"	|		Tragic Conclusions   |