[comp.sys.mac.misc] Adding F1..F10 key emulators to Terminal Emulators?

rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) (10/02/90)

There is an application that runs on Sun workstations and uses the
F1..Fn function keys to run properly. All Sun workstations have keyboards
with these function keys, so the application recognizes the ESCAPE
sequences generated by those. On the PC side, TCP/IP software and
Procomm are used to connect to the Sun's. Both these packages allow
for a keyboard translation map that the software uses to translate
the hardware F1 (or whatever) key to its custom Escape sequence.

Now on the Mac side, there is a choice of NCSA/Telnet or Microphone II
(but the problem is much more generic). I know you can change physical
or logical key-code values, but is there a way to alter what the application
receives or is it pretty much the responsiblity of the terminal emulation
software to support the function key translation feature.

I've looked at several areas from the KCHR resources to the Key Script
facility used for Internationalization but they all seem to be off the mark.
Before I dig in any deeper, I was wondering if anyone had solved this or
had words of encouragement (or discouragement) on this. Now let me also add
that what I want to do is *customize* the escape sequences for F1 to F10.
I do *not* want to use standard VT100 function key sequences. On the Mac
this also implies disabling the "cut/paste/etc..." values associated with
F1 through F4. An even nicer (though not very necessary) feature would
also be support for Shift/Control/Command-Fn sending a different sequence.

If this is a matter for the makers of the terminal emulator programs,
I will request such a feature from the nice folks who gave us Telnet and
the Microphone folks. It seems like such an obvious feature for terminal
emulators (after all they are supposed to emulate foreign terminals which
quite often do something with the function keys).

Please mail all replies back to me. I don't often get the chance to
keep up with the newsgroup. I will summarize the replies back to the
group if there is interest.

Cheers and many thanks...

Ramin Firoozye'
rp&A Inc.
San Francisco, CA.
rpa-inc@cup.portal.com

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/03/90)

In article <34431@cup.portal.com>, rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) writes:

> There is an application that runs on Sun workstations and uses the
> F1..Fn function keys to run properly. All Sun workstations have keyboards
> with these function keys, so the application recognizes the ESCAPE
> sequences generated by those.
>
> Now on the Mac side, there is a choice of NCSA/Telnet or Microphone II
> Now let me also add that what I want to do is *customize* the escape
> sequences for F1 to F10.  I do *not* want to use standard VT100 function
> key sequences. On the Mac this also implies disabling the "cut/paste/etc..."
> values associated with F1 through F4.

	Using MicroPhone II you are able to assign a script to ANY of the
FKeys on the Extended Keyboard.  This means that you have considerable
customization available in that your script can do anything it wants (from
just sending a bunch of text, to also checking prompts, putting up dialogs
to request info, etc.) just at the touch of an FKey.

> An even nicer (though not very necessary) feature would
> also be support for Shift/Control/Command-Fn sending a different sequence.

	At this time, the handling of modifier keys would require a Macro
program such as QuicKeys, Tempo II or MacroMaker.

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team
--
Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures Corp.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/03/90)

In article <34431@cup.portal.com>, rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) writes:
> Now on the Mac side, there is a choice of NCSA/Telnet or Microphone II
> (but the problem is much more generic). I know you can change physical
> or logical key-code values, but is there a way to alter what the application
> receives or is it pretty much the responsiblity of the terminal emulation
> software to support the function key translation feature.

Well not quite true, there are other programs, in fact A LOT more.  VersTerm,
TCP/Connect II, HostAccess, MacUWS, etc...  Just to name a few.

I know that within TCP/Connect II the F1-F15 keys are host-programmable.
Besides doing the normal VT220 keyboard functions.  I hope this helps a bit.

What you are asking for should already be done in one program or another.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products