[comp.sys.mac.misc] Boomerang? New versions of StuffIt?

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/02/90)

In article <8420@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>I have tried an cdev called Boomerang (version 2.0). It seems very useful,
>but isn't very reliable. Sometimes its icon is blank in an Open... dialog
>box, and when that happens some applications will crash as soon as I try
>to do anything. Unfortunately, this includes two applications I use
>heavily: Qued 2.09 and Vellum 1.0.

Yeah, I tried Boomerang after seeing it on the favorite INITs/CDEVs
list of a few people.  However, my random system crashes increased
fourfold or so.  I eventually had to trash it.  Now things are peachy
again.  It is really too bad that it is so unstable as it is a great
little program.

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

earl@cogdev.cognet.ucla.edu (Earl Williams) (10/02/90)

In article <8420@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>I have tried an cdev called Boomerang (version 2.0). It seems very useful,
>but isn't very reliable. Sometimes its icon is blank in an Open... dialog
>box, and when that happens some applications will crash as soon as I try
>to do anything. Unfortunately, this includes two applications I use
>heavily: Qued 2.09 and Vellum 1.0.
>
>Any pointers as to where to get either Boomerang 2.1 would be
>appreciated. sumex-aim seems to not be kept up anymore....

Solutions to the problems you describe are found in the documentation
files included with Boomerang.  Boomerang now has the ability to turn
itself off during the operation of certain applications, so you should
be able to avoid Qued and Vellum - related crashes.

Sumex-aim is now healthy again (and "kept up").

Earl M. Williams       ?8-)      UCLA Psychology Department
earl@cognet.ucla.edu             2344B Franz Hall
"No matter where you go, there you are."   -Buckaroo Banzai

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.211114.20136@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <8420@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>>I have tried an cdev called Boomerang (version 2.0). It seems very useful,
>>but isn't very reliable. Sometimes its icon is blank in an Open... dialog
>>box, and when that happens some applications will crash as soon as I try
>>to do anything. Unfortunately, this includes two applications I use
>>heavily: Qued 2.09 and Vellum 1.0.
>
>Yeah, I tried Boomerang after seeing it on the favorite INITs/CDEVs
>list of a few people.  However, my random system crashes increased
>fourfold or so.  I eventually had to trash it.  Now things are peachy
>again.  It is really too bad that it is so unstable as it is a great
>little program.

My understanding it that Boomerang is "going commercial" as part of Version
2.0 of the Now Utilities.  They're working really hard to iron out the bugs
it has to bring it up to "commercial quality".  It does help to have a real
QA department have at it and have it go through a serious beta test.

Disclaimer: I used to have a utility as part of the Now Utilities
(MemorySetter), and think the folks at Now are doing a great job of
bring shareware type software up to commercial levels of quality and
support.

-- michael peirce

gphg1125@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Glenn P Hoetker) (10/03/90)

If you're having trouble with boomerang, you might see if it's a case of
init conflict.  I've been using it extensively for over 6 months on a
mac SE with 2 meg, lots of other inits, and to date no problems at all.

It may be the case that it and one other init in specific are at odds--then
it would be choice time.

Good luck in figuring it out. As you say, it's a great little program.

--
Glenn Hoetker
University of Illinois, Graduate School of Library and Information Science

meldal@bach.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (10/04/90)

I hope the Boomerang author has followed this discussion. By the
looks of it there are many happy Boomerang users who do not know of
version 2.1, i.e., who have not paid there shareware fee. Or is the
check in the mail?

Sigurd
--
Hard mail: