[comp.sys.mac.misc] Color pictures desktop

A6014RVD@HASARA11.BITNET (Raymond J. van Diessen) (10/03/90)

I want to have color pictures as startup screens an desktop
but I encountered some problems. My questions: How can I make a
a startup screen from a res=0 pict converted gif? Do I always need
a cdev like ScreenMaster?

For the desktop picture I used !DeskPict. But in both cases the pictures
were displayed with the standard color lookup table (not the one of
the original gif). I think that it should have it's own clut, right?
But how do you get a clut in a pict file which is a conversion
of a gif with Giffer 1.06. Where is the color information in a pict file

If anybody knows the answers to my questions, please let me know.

Raymond J. van Diessen                  Bitnet   :  a6014rvd@hasara11
University of Amsterdam                 Internet :  a6014rvd@vm1.sara.nl
Department of Information Systems
The Netherlands

clay@iti.org (Clay A. Maeckel) (10/04/90)

A6014RVD@HASARA11.BITNET (Raymond J. van Diessen) writes:
>I want to have color pictures as startup screens an desktop
>but I encountered some problems. My questions: How can I make a
>a startup screen from a res=0 pict converted gif? Do I always need
>a cdev like ScreenMaster?

You shouldn't need ScreenMaster, just rename the "res=0 pict" file to
StartUpScreen and the next time you reboot you should see the picture
instead of the "Welcome to Macintosh" dialog.

>For the desktop picture I used !DeskPict. But in both cases the pictures
>were displayed with the standard color lookup table (not the one of
>the original gif). I think that it should have it's own clut, right?
>But how do you get a clut in a pict file which is a conversion
>of a gif with Giffer 1.06. Where is the color information in a pict file

No, !DeskPict doesn't scan the PICT before displaying it to get the clut.
It lets ColorQuick draw do the color mapping to the system CLUT. If you want
an init/cdev that does change the CLUT to match the picture, go out and buy
Now Utilities. One of the utilities is DeskPicture, the commercial version
of !DeskPict. DeskPicture allows you change the system CLUT to that of the
picture, it can read standard PICT files, has a preview mode that allows you
to adjust the scaling, and also adds the option to a "virtual memory" type
trick so instead of using 300k of RAM to store the image (for a 13" 256 color
monitor) it will instead use 300k of disk space.

Hope this helps a little. BTW, I'm the author of !DeskPict and DeskPicture.

--Clay

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Internet:  clay@claris.com  *  GEnie: C.MAECKEL