[comp.sys.mac.misc] THINK C Suggestions

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (10/04/90)

In article <505@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:

>I've never seen the need for assembler output from a compiler. What's
>so wonderful about it? I've been programming in C for years, off and on,
>and have never felt the need to see the compiler's excretions. This business
>of seeing the output and hand-optimising it seems to be a singularly
>pointless way of spending one's time, unless (i) speed is *absolutely*
>critical in some tight loop or other, and (ii) you can't get equivalent
>or better speed-ups by spending less time just working on the C code.

When writing trap patches, it is sometimes necessary to know which registers
your patch proc is using so that you can save and restore them.  Also, since
tail patches are verboten, you need to fiddle about with your proc's epilogue
so that you JMP (not JSR) to the patched routine.  Both of these tasks are
made easier by the availability of "compiler excretions."

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com