[comp.sys.mac.misc] MACDUMP problem

rcb@ccpv1.cc.ncsu.edu (Randy Buckland) (10/05/90)

I am trying to use macdump to backup a fileserver to a unix machine with an
optical drive. The mac is a Mac II, the unix box is a VAX running cap+ and
uab+. All the normal cap programs run very fast. the macdump program however
just crawls along. A backup of 75 meg took over 12 hours to complete. Is this
a limitation of macdump? Is there a deliberate delay build into the Dumper
RDEV?

--
Randy Buckland
North Carolina State University

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (10/05/90)

In article <rcb.655078321@ccpv1.cc.ncsu.edu> rcb@ccpv1.cc.ncsu.edu (Randy Buckland) writes:
>I am trying to use macdump to backup a fileserver to a unix machine with an
>optical drive. The mac is a Mac II, the unix box is a VAX running cap+ and
>uab+. All the normal cap programs run very fast. the macdump program however
>just crawls along. A backup of 75 meg took over 12 hours to complete. Is this
>a limitation of macdump? Is there a deliberate delay build into the Dumper
>RDEV?

My guess is that it has to do with the number of times the SystemTask trap is
called, or something similar.  Under MultiFinder, if the Finder is the front
application, MacDump is very slow, but with other applications in the front,
even the DA Handler, MacDump is much faster.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy