[comp.sys.mac.misc] How to access comp.sys.mac from the real world?

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (10/02/90)

> In article <2787@idunno.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott
> Englander) writes:

> >I'm soon leaving the networked shelter of the university for a job in
> >the real world, at a place that i'm sure doesn't have an internet
> >connection.
> >
> >Question: Are there publically accessible computers/services that enable
> >individuals to (via modem) access usenet, and comp.sys.mac in
> >particular?
> >
> I meant to add also that i'll be living in the Boston area.
>
>                                                - Scott

Scott, you could join a user's group and buy Copernicius for $40.  Then access
the internet through one of the Fidonet gateways.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M. Wu) (10/03/90)

In article <27650.27082728@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:

>> In article <2787@idunno.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott
>> Englander) writes:
>
>> >I'm soon leaving the networked shelter of the university for a job in
>> >the real world, at a place that i'm sure doesn't have an internet
>> >connection.
>> >
>> >Question: Are there publically accessible computers/services that enable
>> >individuals to (via modem) access usenet, and comp.sys.mac in
>> >particular?
>> >
>> I meant to add also that i'll be living in the Boston area.
>>
>>                                                - Scott
>
>Scott, you could join a user's group and buy Copernicius for $40.  Then access
>the internet through one of the Fidonet gateways.

	My questions are:

	1.  What is Copernicius?
	2.  How does one get on a Fidonet gateway?  Cost?  using
		a modem?  Any Ethernet connectors?

	Thanks in advance for the info.

	Benson M. Wu
	bmwu@athena.mit.edu

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/06/90)

Benson M. Wu writes in a message on 02 Oct 90 to Chris Gehlker:

        My questions are:

        1.  What is Copernicius?
        2.  How does one get on a Fidonet gateway?  Cost?  using
                a modem?  Any Ethernet connectors?

----------------------

One way to get Usenet newsgroups in the real world is to be part of a BBS that's
on the Fidonet network.  The Fidonet can access the Internet via gateways, of
which there are only a few.  One is here in Columbus, OH.  Now, the sysop of
the Fidonet BBS must make some active effort to get the Usenet stuff, but it
can be done easily.  Once the BBS gets the newgroups, anyone on the BBS can
read them.  It's quite slick, and that's what I'm doing now.

Your first step should be finding a BBS which is hooked into the Fidonet.  (Find
several, if possible, since not all BBS sysops are willing/able to get the newsgroups
you want.  Check with a local computer store or user group to find a BBS near
you.)  Once you find an accommodating BBS, see if he'll find out how to get
a hold of the newsgroups.  I'll tell you right now, it's simple:  just have
him call Aurora Borealis BBS at (614) 471-5733 or 471-6209.  Mike Lininger is
the sysop, and carries all the Macintosh newsgroups, as well as comp.sys.next.
 He's willing to carry others, if there's a demand.  He gets the newsfeeds locally,
so it's no big problem for him to carry as many as necessary.  Your BBS's sysop
must be willing to call Aurora Borealis (or whatever Usenet-carrying BBS you
find) on a regular basis to pick up the feed.

The cost is whatever you negotiate with the BBS's sysop.  All you need is a
modem and some telcom software.  No Ethernet is necessary.

Copernicus is simply a Fidonet-compliant point system.  All that means is that
Copernicus is a mini-BBS which serves only one person, and which uses the Fidonet
protocols.  It allows you to poll a main, regular BBS, have message areas (newsgroups)
transferred to you in a packed, protocol-based, efficient manner (as opposed
to just dumping ASCII out the serial port), and unpacking and reading the articles
offline.  It's a handy thing to have if you're getting a bunch of newsgroups.
 But it's not necessary, not necessary at all.

Any questions, please e-mail.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix