[comp.sys.mac.misc] Problems with DeskWriter and SuperLaserSpool

meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (10/08/90)

I am experiencing a crippling problem with the
DeskWriter/SuperLaserSpool combination. Any help would be appreciated.

The scenario:
MacII w/PMMU and 4 MByte memory. System 6.0.5 with communications
toolbox, SuperLaserSpool 2.02, ATM 2.0, SuitCase II.6. No other inits
besides the ones installed by the 6.0.5 installer. Running MultiFinder
(vanilla). DeskWriter driver version A.02.00.

The problem:
When printing sizable documents the system will freeze during the
printing. For a given document it will seemingly always freeze at the
same point. Changing the buffer size does not help (I've tried the
max, one MByte), increasing the Finder partition does not help (I've
given it 800 KByte).

HELP!

Sigurd Meldal

Hard mail:
 ERL 456              | Internet:  meldal@anna.stanford.edu
 Computer Systems Lab.|
 Stanford University  | BitNet: meldal%anna.stanford.edu@forsythe.bitnet
 Stanford CA 94305    | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!anna!meldal
 USA                  |

phone: +1 415 723 6027
fax:   +1 415 725 7398

irwin@galton.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (10/08/90)

In article <162@ithink.stanford.edu> meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) writes:
>I am experiencing a crippling problem with the
>DeskWriter/SuperLaserSpool combination. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>The scenario:
>MacII w/PMMU and 4 MByte memory. System 6.0.5 with communications
>toolbox, SuperLaserSpool 2.02, ATM 2.0, SuitCase II.6. No other inits
>besides the ones installed by the 6.0.5 installer. Running MultiFinder
>(vanilla). DeskWriter driver version A.02.00.
>
>The problem:
>When printing sizable documents the system will freeze during the
>printing. For a given document it will seemingly always freeze at the
>same point. Changing the buffer size does not help (I've tried the
>max, one MByte), increasing the Finder partition does not help (I've
>given it 800 KByte).
>
>HELP!
>
>Sigurd Meldal
>
>Hard mail:
> ERL 456              | Internet:  meldal@anna.stanford.edu
> Computer Systems Lab.|
> Stanford University  | BitNet: meldal%anna.stanford.edu@forsythe.bitnet
> Stanford CA 94305    | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!anna!meldal
> USA                  |
>
>phone: +1 415 723 6027
>fax:   +1 415 725 7398

What programs are you using that have the printing problems?  Also did
you have this problem before you made any changes to your system.  What
I'm thinking about is you mentioned using ATM 2.0 which hasn't been out
very long.  I've had no problems using a DeskWriter and Superspool on an
SE/30.  I run my system with many more inits (ATM 1.2 instead 2.0) and
without the communications toolbox.

One possible suggestion is too reinstall your system with the installer
and replace your printer driver from the original disk.  Some files may
have gotten corrupted some how and it may affect the ability to print
files.  You may also want to get a copy of the current version of
Disinfectant (ver 2.2) and check your hard disk.  I doubt that a virus
is the problem but it can't hurt to take a look.

Also I'm wondering if you have set your buffer size and finder partition
size to big.  You may be running out of memory?  Have you tried printing
just running under finder.  If you can get things to print properly here
memory may be your problem.

Sorry about the rambling style but I hope something here helps you solve
your problem.

Mark Irwin
irwin@galton.uchicago.edu

except just us