[comp.sys.mac.misc] Envelope Feeder for LaserWriter IINT

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (10/03/90)

Does anyone know of an envelope feeder for the LaserWriter IINT? Some
people I know are interested in feeding envelopes automatically
instead of using labels because it looks more personal. MacConnection
said they thought envelope feeders existed, but they didn't sell any.
Suggestions as to where I could get one and how much it might cost
would be greatly appreciated....

Adam

--
Adam C. Engst                         pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Editor of TidBITS, the weekly electronic Macintosh news journal

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct2.222457.239@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Does anyone know of an envelope feeder for the LaserWriter IINT?

Check out the BDT Laserfeeder, which supposedly runs on the LW IINT, LW IINTX,
HP LaserJet II, III, and other printers using the Canon SX engine.  (They may
support other engines, too, for all I know.)

According to their literature, for around $1500 you can get a 3 bin feeder
which includes an envelope feeder.  They offer options to support up to a
total of six bins, including the envelope bin.  I've seen these advertised
in MacUser (among others), but haven't yet gotten one.  If anybody has
any experience with them, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

BDT:  714-660-1386  (fax 714-474-0480)
Mike Nolan                                 "To err is human, to forgive
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            is divine, to procrastinate is,
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            um, can I get back to you on that?"
UUCP: tssi!nolan   (feed site changed, dsndata!tssi!nolan might be better)
INTERNET:  nolan@pythia.unl.edu (only if the other address doesn't work)

mdc@spt.entity.com (Marty Connor) (10/04/90)

There is an Envelope Cassette available for the LaserWriter IINT.
I purchased one in Cambridge, MA at Cambridge Electronics, Inc. for
less than $100.

The cassette holds 15 envelopes at a time, and accepts various sizes
of envelopes.

Any Apple dealer should be able to order one for you.

Marty

--
Marty Connor, Marty's Computer Workshop,  "Specializing in Macintosh Training"
126 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617) 491-6935

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (10/05/90)

In article <1852@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:
>In article <1990Oct2.222457.239@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>>Does anyone know of an envelope feeder for the LaserWriter IINT?
>
>Check out the BDT Laserfeeder, which supposedly runs on the LW IINT, LW IINTX,
>HP LaserJet II, III, and other printers using the Canon SX engine.
(stuff omitted)
> If anybody has any experience with them, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

We currently have to BDT sheet feeders (the 890 model) running on NTXs.
For the most part they work well, but they're not perfect.  There are
occasional paper jams, and once in a while the feeder will get out
of whack and feed a sheet from the wrong bin.

On the other hand, it's a hell of a lot better than running to the printer
whenever you want to print on other than white stock (and have no idea
who else is printing at the moment).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

robert@polari.UUCP (robert) (10/09/90)

In article <1852@tssi.UUCP>, nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:
> In article <1990Oct2.222457.239@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
> >Does anyone know of an envelope feeder for the LaserWriter IINT?
>
> Check out the BDT Laserfeeder, which supposedly runs on the LW IINT,
> LW IINTX, HP LaserJet II, III, and other printers using the Canon SX
> engine.

While I haven't used it myself, one Apple dealer has warned me to
stay away from BDT. The saleman ordered a unit for a customer and said
it jamed all the time. Another salesman (at another Apple dealership)
commented on the sharp angle between the paper tray and the feed path,
but I'm not sure whether the second saleman has actual experience with
one. Anyway, I decided to steer clear of that device. Too bad. It would
be useful if it worked.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with it?

|Robert Riebman                    |  robert@polari                     |
|Northwest Information Technology  | (...uw-beaver!sumax!polari!robert) |
|P.O. Box 3156                     |                                    |
|Redmond, WA     98073             |         "Hack and Enjoy"           |