[comp.sys.mac.misc] Info on NightWatch needed

stevem@geac.com (Steve Manning) (10/02/90)

Hoo Boy do we have a problem!!

We have a Mac II on which some confidential information was stored.  So to
protect the informatation from prying eyes, a utility called NightWatch (TM)
was installed.  Night Watch is a password protection utility that seems
to hide the hard drive unless the system is booted with a special NightWatch
diskette.  It really hides it.  It hides it so well that Apple HD SC Setup
can't find the hard drive, thereby preventing us from doing a simple re-format.
We think the hard drive is okay, because Disk First Aid didn't have any
problem accessing it.

So guess what the problem is? In a recent move the NightWatch diskettes
were misplaced.  To compound the problem, the person most familiar with
NightWatch is no longer with the company and we don't know from whom the
software was purchased.

So, can anyone please tell me who distribute/makes NightWatch and how
we might contact them?  Or does anyone know of a way around the protection?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

--
Steve Manning 		Geac Computer Corporation Limited,
                        Markham, Ontario

akcs.steelrat@vpnet.chi.il.us (Kevin Rice) (10/05/90)

I don't know the manufacturer of Nightwatch but you might be able to write a
program using the File Manager toolbox calls to get around it.

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/06/90)

Steve Manning writes in a message on 02 Oct 90 to All:

SM>  So guess what the problem is? In a recent move the NightWatch
SM>  diskettes were misplaced.  To compound the problem, the person
SM>  most familiar with  NightWatch is no longer with the company
SM>  and we don't know from whom the  software was purchased. ...

serves you right.  Sounds like the company I just left.  Organization is a wonderful
thing.  You should try it sometime.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (10/09/90)

In article <76779.270DF3CE@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

>Steve Manning writes in a message on 02 Oct 90 to All:
>
>SM>  So guess what the problem is? In a recent move the NightWatch
>SM>  diskettes were misplaced.  To compound the problem, the person
>SM>  most familiar with  NightWatch is no longer with the company
>SM>  and we don't know from whom the  software was purchased. ...
>

>serves you right.  Sounds like the company I just left.  Organization is a wonderful
>thing.  You should try it sometime.
>
>--Adam--

You're a big help, Adam.

David