[comp.sys.mac.misc] Will Mac's go the way of Apple II's

wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/02/90)

Hey, Mac-dudes!  You all should be rallying behind the Apple II and complaining
about Apple's failure to support it.  Why?  Because if Apple will do what it is
doing to its namesake, it will do the same thing to the Mac in five years or so.

Think about it.  Don't believe me?

Well, any of you Mac +/SE owners feel like you're being properly supported?
Can you upgrade to color?  Is Macintosh Inc. moving towards the Mac II and
forgetting its roots?  Hmm.  MacClassic, not withstanding, sounds like it.
When NeXT went color, they made it possible to upgrade (or rather it will be).

Also, Macintoshes keep going through different models.  Is there an upgrade
policy?  Can a Mac IIci become a Mac IIfx?  Why not?  How long until Apple
starts ignoring 68020 users?

flame flame flame

You get the point, of course.  If we can't trust 'em, can you?  Hell, no.
You're as good as f**ked now.

Bill Gulstad

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/03/90)

In article <143400015@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

|> Hey, Mac-dudes!  You all should be rallying behind the Apple II and complaining
|> about Apple's failure to support it.  Why?  Because if Apple will do what it is
|> doing to its namesake, it will do the same thing to the Mac in five years or so.
[...]
The Mac should have _replaced_ the Apple II years ago. Only now under extreme
pressure from the high end (Sparcstation and NeXT) and the low end (Windows 3)
is Apple considering moving Mac pricing low enough to kill off the Apple II.

If you could have a Mac for the same price, would you want an Apple II?

Of course not.

In five years from now, will the Mac look a bit dated? It already does.

Apple is late in bringing out a credible alternative future model. The Mac
is a much better design than the IBM PC, and Apple has blown its advantage
by failing to buy market share. It's not too late to recover. But to suppose
that no major change in strategy, only incremental upgrades, will do for the
next 5 years is a touch unrealistic.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (10/03/90)

by wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:
| Hey, Mac-dudes!  You all should be rallying behind the Apple II and complaining
| about Apple's failure to support it.  Why?  Because if Apple will do what it is
| doing to its namesake, it will do the same thing to the Mac in five years or so.
|
| Think about it.  Don't believe me?
|
| Well, any of you Mac +/SE owners feel like you're being properly supported?
| Can you upgrade to color?  Is Macintosh Inc. moving towards the Mac II and
| forgetting its roots?  Hmm.  MacClassic, not withstanding, sounds like it.
| When NeXT went color, they made it possible to upgrade (or rather it will be).
|
| Also, Macintoshes keep going through different models.  Is there an upgrade
| policy?  Can a Mac IIci become a Mac IIfx?  Why not?  How long until Apple
| starts ignoring 68020 users?

  First of all, you can upgrade your IIci to a IIfx. Just sell the box and buy a
IIfx! The only things that wouldn't have to be swapped are the NuBus cards and the
keyboard/mouse! On the II--> IIfx, you just swap the motherboard. Why doesn't your
favorite car manufacturer upgrade an econo box to a luxury sedan? So what is only
the brake pedal is the same, right?
  I personally WANT Apple to forget about the 68000 Macs. In fact, I think it would
be Real Nice (tm) to have a complete break in the system software and rewrite it
with some 20/20 hindsight. That would go a long way to fixinig current problems.
Clinging to the currenet OS may very well cause the eventual downfall of the Mac.
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| A fanatic is one who sticks to

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (10/03/90)

In <1990Oct2.190906.27339@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:

>Clinging to the currenet OS may very well cause the eventual downfall of the Mac.

Sheesh!  You should try using a computer that is still clinging to CP/M
standards, is limited to 640K of usable memory, has no ROM support for
graphics, and tries to shoehorn 16Meg of spare memory into itty-bitty
16K blocks!

Signed, an embattled PC owner...
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) (10/05/90)

Of course this is a flame, read the subject line.
How could it not be a flame?

In article <143400015@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hey, Mac-dudes!  You all should be rallying behind the Apple II and complaining
>about Apple's failure to support it.  Why?  Because if Apple will do what it is
>doing to its namesake, it will do the same thing to the Mac in five years or so

I get so tired of this crap. It really is difficult to imagine how some people
could ever be satisfied.  You probably complain at MacDonalds that their cokes
are not refilled for free.

>Think about it.  Don't believe me?

What I don't believe is why you care.  The people who bought a computer did
so for a reason.  The computer satisfied that purpose *and* still does.
The *only* case in which this is not true is if your computer's job is to
be state-of-the-art.  No computer, no anything can be that.

>Well, any of you Mac +/SE owners feel like you're being properly supported?

Damn straight.  I bought a good piece of hardware at a fair price.  It worked
straight out of the box and still does everything I bought it for and more.

>Can you upgrade to color?  Is Macintosh Inc. moving towards the Mac II and
>forgetting its roots?  Hmm.  MacClassic, not withstanding, sounds like it.

Yes, I can upgrade it.  All it takes is money.  That is reasonable.  Color
costs more money.  Faster cost more money.  Everything costs more money.
Just what is your point?  Do you think that IBM is going to give me a color
monitor or a 386 to put in my original 64k PC?  Of course not.  They do not
sell upgrades for them either.  But upgrades are available, so are new
computers.

>When NeXT went color, they made it possible to upgrade (or rather it will be).

So f****ing what.  So buy a NeXT and go moan and bitch in comp.sys.next about
why they did not have a floppy or why they ....

>Also, Macintoshes keep going through different models.  Is there an upgrade
>policy?  Can a Mac IIci become a Mac IIfx?  Why not?  How long until Apple
>starts ignoring 68020 users?

And if Apple did not come out with new models, you and everyone else would
be crying your eyes out that they were not coming out with new models, while
IBM ate them alive in the market place.

>flame flame flame
>
>You get the point, of course.  If we can't trust 'em, can you?  Hell, no.
>You're as good as f**ked now.
>
>Bill Gulstad

Yes, Bill, *you* are f***ed.  Go back to the hospital and ask for an
upgrade, your processor is too slow.  All it takes is money.

--
Signatures!?                          | Jan Isley  jan@bagend
We don't need no stinking signatures. | known_universe!gatech!bagend!jan

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/06/90)

Robert Minich writes in a message on 02 Oct 90 to All:

RM>    I personally WANT Apple to forget about the 68000 Macs. In
RM>  fact, I think it would be Real Nice (tm) to have a complete
RM>  break in the system software and rewrite it with some 20/20
RM>  hindsight. That would go a long way to fixinig current problems.
RM>  Clinging to the currenet OS may very well cause the eventual
RM>  downfall of the Mac. ...

I agree with you, **provided** that Apple also supports our older machines.
 I have a Plus, but wouldn't cry if Apple started creating System II, only for
68030s and above.  As long as they kept fixing known bugs in the 68000 System,
that would be fine.  You're right--if they keep supporting the 68000 Classic,
SE, and Plus, they might be crippling their business.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/09/90)

In article <143400015@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Hey, Mac-dudes!  You all should be rallying behind the Apple II and complaining
>about Apple's failure to support it.  Why?  Because if Apple will do what it is
>doing to its namesake,it will do the same thing to the Mac in five years or so.
>Think about it.  Don't believe me?
>Well, any of you Mac +/SE owners feel like you're being properly supported?
>Can you upgrade to color?  Is Macintosh Inc. moving towards the Mac II and
>forgetting its roots?  Hmm.  MacClassic, not withstanding, sounds like it.
>When NeXT went color, they made it possible to upgrade (or rather it will be).
>Also, Macintoshes keep going through different models.  Is there an upgrade
>policy?  Can a Mac IIci become a Mac IIfx?  Why not?  How long until Apple
>starts ignoring 68020 users?
>flame flame flame
>You get the point, of course.  If we can't trust 'em, can you?  Hell, no.
>You're as good as f**ked now.
>Bill Gulstad

	This is a rather pointless flame, how long can you seriously expect
	a company to support aging technology? There comes a time when you
	need to wake up and smell the coffee that 6502's don't cut it
	anymore. Same thing with the Mac's. Despite the comments about
	upgrade policies, that is something where I think Apple has
	excelled, no other company has provided upgrade paths for its
	machines as Apple has. From Mac SE, you can upgrade to a SE30
	which supports color. I fully expect there will come a time when
	68000 Mac support will be completely dropped. It may take several
	years, but it will come... Its a fact of life, everything comes
	to an end, and the sooner you realize this, the better off your
	going to be...
--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

cantrell@Alliant.COM (Paul Cantrell) (10/09/90)

Lots of people talking about how long Apple must support the current 68K
Macs.

In article <2869@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>	This is a rather pointless flame, how long can you seriously expect
>	a company to support aging technology? There comes a time when you
>	need to wake up and smell the coffee that 6502's don't cut it
>	anymore. Same thing with the Mac's. Despite the comments about
>	upgrade policies, that is something where I think Apple has
>	excelled, no other company has provided upgrade paths for its
>	machines as Apple has.

I've gotta agree with Norm here. Since I bought my Mac+, the various
computer companies I've worked for have shipped about 4 generations of
largly incompatible hardware and software. Upgrade policies have existed,
but nothing like what Apple has offered on the Macs. In general each
generation is a totally different architecture which requires substantial
work to port software and hardware to. This is often necessary to be able
to release revolutionary products. Apple has done a tremendous job
making sure new versions of the software largely continue to work on the
old hardware.

During the same time period, I've seen my Betamax VCR become totally
obsolete, and I can't get leaded gasoline for my pickup truck anymore. :-)
So Apple is doing significantly better than Sony and GMC as far as that
stuff goes...

On the other hand, staying too long with a standard isn't always great.
It's wonderful that all the NTSC televisions can all receive the same
signal even though the standard has been enhanced over time to include
things like color and stereo. However, at some point in the near future I
hope they scrap it and go with a very high resolution version of HDTV,
rather than water down the new standard to try to make it compatible with
existing sets and broadcast equipment. If they do that, I won't be able to
get an HDTV set with nearly as nice a picture. Similarly, if Apple is forced
to stay with 68000 longer than it makes sense to, we may get computers which
aren't nearly as capable as they might be.

It's nice to have things last more than one year, but making it last too
long can stifle progress and restrict the kind of products available to
the consumer. I think Apple has struct a good comprimise, and if they
announce an 88K version of the Mac that's incompatible with my Mac+, I
won't feel as if I was cheated.

					PC

HDTV = High Definition Tele Vision
GMC = General Motors Corporation
NTSC = Current USA television broadcast standard

jeff@ics.uci.edu (Jeffrey Gordon Erickson) (10/11/90)

wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

| Hey, Mac-dudes!  You all should be rallying behind the Apple II and
| complaining about Apple's failure to support it.  Why?  Because if Apple
| will do what it is doing to its namesake, it will do the same thing to
| the Mac in five years or so.

[silly mode on -- apologies to BIFF]

ARE Y0U IMPLUYING THAT THE APPLE ][
IS DYING?  NEVER!!!  I STILL HAVE AN
ORIGINAL APPLE ][ WITH 4K OF MEMORY
AND 8 DIFFERENT CARDS AND A FAN TO
KEEP IT FROM BLOWING UP AND IT RUNS
JUST FINE AND IF APPLE WANT TO KILL
IT OFF WELL THATS JUST ST00PID BECAUSE
ITS THE K00LIST COMPUTER IN THE WHOL
WIDE WORLD!!!!!!!!

*****APPLE ][ F0REVER!!!*****

WELL I KNOW THAT APPLE WON'T LET THE
][ DIE EVEN THO THEY PUT ALL THAT
MONEY INTO THE ][GS AND IT SUCKS
GREEN DONKEY EGGS CUZ ITS JUST LIKE
A MAC AND MACS SUK.  MY COMPUTER'S
BETTER CUZ IT HAS A THRREE DIGIT
SERIAL NUMBER AND 64K AND I CAN RUN
APLEWORKS 1.2 AND PLAY CHOPLIFTER
BETTER THAN ANY OF YOU WIZZYWIG
PANSIES!!  APPLE ][ RULES 4EVER!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[end silly mode]

| Think about it.  Don't believe me?

Oh, sure, I believe you.  I believe that as the old technology becomes
obsolete, Apple will (eventually) stop supporting it.

Personally, I would have welcomed the death of the Apple II with open
arms and a smile five years ago (when I was at StyleWare trying to
program the little f--kers).  The only reason it hasn't died is that
Apple doesn't have enough sense (or ability?) to put reasonably priced
Macs in the k-12 market.  But rather than just killing it off, they
produced the IIgs, which (at the time) was the biggest waste of silicon
since the PC Jr.

| Well, any of you Mac +/SE owners feel like you're being properly supported?
| Can you upgrade to color?  Is Macintosh Inc. moving towards the Mac II and
| forgetting its roots?  Hmm.  MacClassic, not withstanding, sounds like it.

"Forgetting its roots"?  What about the Apple I?  Why isn't Woz churning out
wooden breifcases by the millions?

As for your question, yes, of course you can upgrade.  All you have to do
is plop down your computer and a credit card and say "please upgrade me
to an SE/30".  Or sell your old computer and buy a new one.  It's really
not that hard.  After all, you did buy your old one, didn't you?

| Also, Macintoshes keep going through different models.  Is there an upgrade
| policy?  Can a Mac IIci become a Mac IIfx?  Why not?

That's easy!  The IIfx motherboard won't fit in a IIci box!  (duh....)

| How long until Apple starts ignoring 68020 users?

Oh, I'd guess about four years.

| You get the point, of course.  If we can't trust 'em, can you?  Hell, no.
| You're as good as f**ked now.

If you insist on hanging on to obsolete machines, yeah, you ARE fucked.
If you bought your computer to do a job, and it did it, why should you
CARE if you can't upgrade it?  It still works.  If you bought your
computer because it was the next biggest-and-best-hot-new-thing from
Apple, and were pissed off when a three months later it was obsolete,
that's your problem, not Apple's.  If your six-year old computer breaks
down, and you can't get it fixed because no one carries parts that old
any more, I hope you got your money's worth in those sixe years.

Computers don't last forever.  Unfortunately, their users do.

[Followups to either alt.flame, alt.religion.computers, or talk.stupid]

--
___________      Jeff Erickson -- jeff@ics.uci.edu -- UC Irvine ICS Dept.
   |  _|_
___|___|___          Disclaimer: These may not even be MY opinions.