[comp.sys.mac.misc] THIS IS INFO ON THE NEW MACS!

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/10/90)

In article <149@wgate.UUCP> jwh@wgate.UUCP (Joe Hughes) writes:

>	Does anyone have any information concerning the new Macintoshs that
>will be released next week?

	Ok, one more time.
	This is your brain.  This is your brain on Macs...

	Here it is, once again, for all of you who've missed it the
umpteen times it's been posted before, the basic rundown on the
revamped Mac line:

o Mac XL (Lisa)
  to Mac 512KE:	You're joking, right?

o Mac Plus:	Dead.  Toasty-O's.

o Mac SE:	Ditto.

o Mac Classic:	NEW!  Replaces Mac Plus and SE.  Compact Mac case.
		8 Mhz 68000 CPU.  No Expansion slots.
		8-bit, 4-channel stereo sound.
		9" b/w screen.
		1 meg RAM, FDHD:  $999
		2 meg RAM, FDHD, 40 meg HD: $1499

o Mac Portable:	The "luggable" Mac.  Good for weightlifters.
		16 Mhz CMOS 68000 CPU. One 68000 PDS.  Internal Modem slot.
		8-bit, 4-channel stereo sound.
		Built-in power supply from hell.
		640x400 Active Matrix LCD Screen.  (needs backlighting!)
		External Monitor port (with addition of adaptor unit).
		Price?  Same as it ever was...

o Mac LC:	NEW!  Low cost color Mac.  "Pizza-box" case.
		16 Mhz 68020 CPU.  No FPU.  No PMMU.  One '020 PDS.
		Built-in 8-bit Sound sampling.  Mike included.
		Built-in 8-bit color.  (You add the monitor)
		2 meg RAM, FDHD, 40 meg HD: $2499
		[limited availability until January...]

o Mac SE/30:	Same old beastie we all know and love.  Compact Mac case
		16 Mhz 68030 CPU.  FPU.  One '030 PDS.
		8-bit, 4-channel stereo sound.
		9" b/w screen.  (You can get a color card and ext. monitor)
		Price?  Same as it ever was...
		If the IIcx goes, this will be the "oldest" Mac.  Woo!

o Mac II:	Dead, Dead, Dead.

o Mac IIx:	Pushin' up daisies.

o Mac IIcx:	Rumor has it this one's toast.  Here's the stats anyways:
		Mid-High-end compact modular Mac.  Compact modular case.
		16 Mhz 68030 CPU.  FPU.  3 NuBus slots.
		8-bit, 4-channel stereo sound.
		Add your own video card.
		Price?  Same as it ever was...

o Mac IIsi:	NEW!!  Low-end high-performance Mac.  "slim" IIci-style case.
		20 Mhz 68030 CPU.  One '030 PDS/Nubus slot.
		8-bit, 4-channel stereo sound.
		Built-in 8-bit Sound sampling.  Mike included.
		Built-in 8-bit color.  (You add the monitor)
		2 meg RAM, FDHD, 40 meg HD: $3700.

o Mac IIci:	High-end Compact Modular Mac.  Compact Modular case.
		25 Mhz 68030 CPU.  FPU.  3 NuBus slots.  Memory Cache slot.
		8-bit, 4-channel stereo sound.
		Built-in 8-bit color.  (You add the monitor)
		Price?  Same as it ever was...

o Mac IIfx:	THE Big, High-End Mac.  (Till the '040 Mac).  Big Modular case.
		40 Mhz 68030 CPU.  FPU.  32k SRAM Cache.
		DMA Controller.  (MacOS doesn't take advantage of it).
		2 Custom I/O processors.  (Same here)
		8-bit, 4-channel stereo sound.
		Optional Parity support.  Burst mode RAM access.
		6 NuBus slots.  One '030 PDS.
		Get your own video card and monitor.
		Price?  IIfx - Too F*ing eXpensive.

Notes and Acronyms:

PDS:  	Processor Direct Slot.  Fast, but CPU/Machine specific.
NuBus:	A standard expansion architecture.  But slow @ 10 Mhz.
FPU:	68882 Floating Point Unit (Math Coprocessor).
DMA:	Direct Memory Access.  Fast, fast, fast.
PMMU:	Paged Memory Management Unit.  Needed for virtual memory.
	Built into the 68030.  Can be added to 68020.  Can't use w/ 68000.
FDHD:	Floppy Drive High Density.  SuperDrive.  (1.44 Meg 3.5" drive)
RAM:	You better know what RAM is by now.
SRAM:	Static RAM.  Fast!
CMOS:	A material for making low-power consumption CPUs.  Sorta.

o Hey, once the Plus and SE are gone, all Macs will have stereo sound.
o Also, most will have 32-bit clean ROMs.
o And, all but the Portable and Classic can have color monitors.
o I tried to list the Macs by "performance" levels...

Sources: MacWEEK, MacWorld, MacUser, PC Week, Info World, Usenet, and
ZMAC (MacWEEK's Compuserve forum)

Disclaimer: I don't work for Apple.  I haven't hunted through any
garbage cans.  It's all lies.  Damn lies.

-=-
| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (10/10/90)

In article <5467@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>o Also, most will have 32-bit clean ROMs.

	Dumb question...but just what is a "clean" ROM?  I mean, the term
brings to mind all sorts of things, but I'm looking for the *correct*
(i.e., "technical") definition...

  John Price                   | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (10/10/90)

>o Mac Classic:	NEW!  Replaces Mac Plus and SE.  Compact Mac case.
>		8 Mhz 68000 CPU.  No Expansion slots.
		^^^^^

In one place, InfoWorld, I believe, I read it was going to be a 16 Mhz 68000.
Can someone verify this?

mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Matthew Harrington) (10/10/90)

So, what's the difference between  the SE and the Classic?

-Matt

--
Matthew B. Harrington                        Internet: matt@ucsd.edu
University of California at San Diego        Bitnet: MATT@UCSD

woody@tybalt.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) (10/10/90)

In article <0093DEF5.46FCE8C0@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>>o Also, most will have 32-bit clean ROMs.
>
>	Dumb question...but just what is a "clean" ROM?

	Okay, kiddies, let's have a bed-time story, okay?

	Once upon a time, when the first Macintosh came out, it only had 128K
of RAM and a 68000 CPU (which used only the bottom 24 bits of the 32 bit
address).  Apple, in their infinite wisdom, desided to use the top 8 bits
of the address (which the hardware ignored) as 'flag bits' for the memory
manager.  This saved some memory (probably an average of 256 bytes in a
typical application), but at the cost of using address bits for things they
weren't supposed to be used for.

	When Apple desided to use the 68020 in the Macintosh II, they finally
had a processor which used all 32 bits of the address, but the operating system
still used the top 8 bits for address.  So the original Mac II used the
'AMMU', the Apple Memory Management Unit, (for machines without a PMMU) to
effectively ignore the top 8 bits of address.

	The upshot of this is in a CPU which can address up to 4 gigs of memory,
the Macintosh Operating System could address only 16 meg.

	Now a lot of applications desided that 'if it's good enough for Apple,
it's good enough for me,' and started using the top 8 bits of the address lines
for their own use.

	So, we now have the relm of the '32 bit clean' applications and ROMs,
and the '32 bit dirty' stuff.  The ROMs were rewritten (in a backwards
compatable way) to use a slightly different memory management system which
did not use the top 8 bits for random flags.  (That apple could do this
without seriously hurting 99% of the applications out there is testimony
of the original design of the Macintosh.)

	But there's still a lot of Macs out there which use the old (32 bit
dirty) ROMs, such as my Macintosh II.  If the application is 32 bit clean,
and the ROMs are 32 bit clean, then it should be possible to use up to
4 gigabytes to run the application.  If not, then you must live in 16 megs.

	Hope this clears the air a little...

--
	William Edward Woody		   | Disclamer:
USNAIL	P.O.Box 50986; Pasadena, CA 91115  |

quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark Quinn) (10/10/90)

In article <5467@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
  (Jim Gaynor) writes:
%
%	Here it is, once again, the basic rundown on the
%revamped Mac line:
%
%o Mac LC:	NEW!  Low cost color Mac.  "Pizza-box" case.
%		(other stuff deleted)

  Any other slots?  Like one where I could add a card containing a FPU
  and a PMMU (are you hardware manufacturers listening)? Or the rumored
  Apple // emulator?

%o Mac SE/30:	Same old beastie we all know and love.  Compact Mac case
%		(other stuff deleted)
%		Price?  Same as it ever was...

  I heard the price was coming down with the introduction of the new
  macs.

%o Mac II:	Dead, Dead, Dead.

  Mine still is alive and well :-).  With FPU and PMMU!

%o Mac IIsi:	NEW!!  Low-end high-performance Mac.  "slim" IIci-style case.
%		(other stuff deleted)

  Has it got a FPU?  Inquiring minds want to know!

%| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |

Clark N. Quinn						(412) 624-9581
Learning Research and Development Center		quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh				quinn@pittunix.bitnet
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/10/90)

In article <5467@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
> o Mac IIx:      Pushin' up daisies.

Make that "Clawing at the inside of its coffin." I'm told that there will
still be one configuration of the IIx available, at least to universities,
although I'm not sure which configuration that is.

In article <5467@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
> o Mac IIsi:     NEW!!  Low-end high-performance Mac.  "slim" IIci-style
case.
>                 20 Mhz 68030 CPU.  One '030 PDS/Nubus slot.
>                 8-bit, 4-channel stereo sound.
>                 Built-in 8-bit Sound sampling.  Mike included.
>                 Built-in 8-bit color.  (You add the monitor)
>                 2 meg RAM, FDHD, 40 meg HD: $3700.

The motherboard has a connector for a slot adaptor, which is what you plug
in to decide whether your slot will be NuBus or a PDS. Both versions of
the slot adaptor include an FPU.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/10/90)

In article <13137@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Matthew
Harrington) writes:
> So, what's the difference between  the SE and the Classic?

Besides an updated ROM, the Classic has no slot. If you want a slot, you
must buy a II LC.

David Gutierrez

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (10/11/90)

>> o Mac Classic:	NEW!  Replaces Mac Plus and SE.  Compact Mac case.
>>	 	8 Mhz 68000 CPU.  No Expansion slots.
>>	^ ^^^^

> In one place, InfoWorld, I believe, I read it was going to be a 16 Mhz
> 68000. Can someone verify this?

It will be an 8MHZ 68000, and NOT a 16MHZ 68000.......

Gary

---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (10/11/90)

> So, what's the difference between  the SE and the Classic?

The Single Slot that the SE has.....

Gary

---