[comp.sys.mac.misc] Deskwriter questions

news@netnews.upenn.edu (USENET News System) (07/25/90)

From: jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George J. Jefferson)

With some software combinations you can get around the 72dpi limit
by creating your document at 4x normal size and then printing at 25%
reduction.

For example I want to edit Wingz graphics in Macdraw II, but the
clipboard will only transfer a PICT (72dpi) image.  I create the graphic
at 400% scale, copy/paste, edit, and finally print at 25%.

Life was so much simpler with the Imagewriter..

Hope this helps..

BTW this can _not_ be done with a Laser SC.  For no
apparent reason the reduction box is unavailable from within Macdraw2.

George Jefferson    jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   george@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

pfr654@csc.anu.oz (07/27/90)

In article <27484@netnews.upenn.edu>, news@netnews.upenn.edu (USENET News System) writes:

> For example I want to edit Wingz graphics in Macdraw II, but the
> clipboard will only transfer a PICT (72dpi) image.  I create the graphic
                                      ****** WRONG
> at 400% scale, copy/paste, edit, and finally print at 25%.
>

> George Jefferson    jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   george@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

George, you're way off here.

PICT images are not ANY resolution: they are object drawings, so that if
you print to a laserwriter or any printer, the image will come out as clear
as that printer will allow (laser, DW: 300dpi; Imagewriter: 72dpi;
imagesetter: 1000dpi+).

The particular program you are using may have this 400%, 25% problem (like
Versaterm Pro), but PICT images do not fall in this category.

The 72dpi images you are thinking of are MPNT or MacPaint images; but I
don't think that WingZ produces these.--
*====*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*
Phil Ryan
ANU Department of Physics and Theoretical Physics
Canberra, Australia
pfr654@csc.anu.oz.au   phone:(61 6) 249 4678   fax:(61 6) 249 0741

planting@cs.pitt.edu (Professor Harry Plantinga) (10/12/90)

I am considering purchasing a Deskwriter and Freedom of Press, and I
have a couple of questions about this configuration.

First, my Mac II is connected to a network via an ethernet card and
MacTCP.  To print on the deskwriter, will I have to go into chooser
and switch to the internal network?  Is there any way to print on it
without having to change the network connection?

Second, will this configuration support print spooling?

Harry Plantinga
planting@cs.pitt.edu