[comp.sys.mac.misc] Extended Keyboard

graham@isis.ee.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (10/12/90)

writes:
> >bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:
> >>BTW, if the user interface on the Mac is so good, why is the Help key
> >>just another useless bit of plastic.
> >
> >What Help key?
>
> The one on the extended keyboard.
>
> It's only a useless bit of plastic if the programmers of a given
application
> decide not to implement it.  Microsoft products do.
>
> I don't understand the original criticism. Why not ask:
> "if the user interface on the Mac is so good, why are the extended
keyboard's
> function keys useless out of the box?"

Wasn't the extended keyboard originally intended for use with with PC and
terminal
emulators? So why would there be real support? By now, there should be,
since they've
updated the extended keyboard. However, applications still have to be
written for use with
Macs that have only a standard keyboard. (For instance, I'm at a IIfx
which has a
standard keyboard due to the my boss's failing to ask anyone about what
the system
should have.) It would be nice if, as Word does, they have the capability
to also
use the extended keys.

Can't really blame Apple for this

Steve Graham