[comp.sys.mac.misc] Dear Aple: Trivial but nice Enhancements to 6.0.n or 7.0

18215MES@MSU.BITNET (10/10/90)

Hi Folks!

I just have two very minor but possibly nice enhancements to suggest.

1) On a large screen monitor (Apple's 21" anyway) with the mouse speed
   spetting at the highest level, I still feel a need for more speed! Any
   chance of getting a couple higher speed levels added?

2) Also, I would like to be able to permanently modify all of the desktop
   patterns in the system file, or at least add a few of my own.

   Many thanks for your attention.  :)

   Mark Sartor, 221 ag hall, MSU, E. Lansing Mi. 48824 (18215mes@msu.bitnet)

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (10/11/90)

In article <65818215MES@MSU> 18215MES@MSU.BITNET writes:
>Hi Folks!

>I just have two very minor but possibly nice enhancements to suggest.

>1) On a large screen monitor (Apple's 21" anyway) with the mouse speed
>   spetting at the highest level, I still feel a need for more speed! Any
>   chance of getting a couple higher speed levels added?

You don't have to wait. I picked up a $5 shareware cdev that doubles
the speed of ADB mice. It's called MOUSE2.

I can't use it yet, since I don't have an ADB mouse, so I can't make
any promises. It plus it's README is only 8k. I could probably send it
to people.

>2) Also, I would like to be able to permanently modify all of the desktop
>   patterns in the system file, or at least add a few of my own.

Use ResEdit to edit the PAT# resource.

>   Many thanks for your attention.  :)
>
>   Mark Sartor, 221 ag hall, MSU, E. Lansing Mi. 48824 (18215mes@msu.bitnet)

You're welcome.

jim
--
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6115
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (10/12/90)

Speaking of enhancements to Macintosh software, did anyone
discuss the possibility of having a "kill/abort application"
under Multifinder?  Sometimes a program would go astray and lock
up the Mac.  Well, I shouldn't say lock up because the mouse
still works, and keyboard, too.  If I were able to abort the
application, I wouldn't have to reboot.  I know that parts of
memory could have been walked over, but I want to take my
chances, try to save work in progress in another application
currently running, and exit more gracefully than a simple reboot.

Ken
--
..............................................................________________.
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/12/90)

In article <TEMPEST.90Oct11125236@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
>Speaking of enhancements to Macintosh software, did anyone
>discuss the possibility of having a "kill/abort application"
>under Multifinder?

  Yes, it's been discussed and implemented. :-)

  In System 7, one can just press cmd-opt-ESC and kill off the foreground
application.  This is guaranteed to leave the system in an indeterminable
state, but you can escape if you really need to.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

emcguire@ccad.uiowa.edu (Ed McGuire) (10/13/90)

In article <65818215MES@MSU> 18215MES@MSU.BITNET writes:

> 1) On a large screen monitor (Apple's 21" anyway) with the mouse speed
>    spetting at the highest level, I still feel a need for more speed! Any
>    chance of getting a couple higher speed levels added?

Get cdev/mouse-ii.hqx from sumex.  Move your mouse slowly and it uses a
slow speed for accurate pointing.  Move your mouse quickly and it uses
a fast speed to minimiqe mouse movement.  I will never go back!
--
peace.  -- Ed
"Vote.  Because it's the Right Thing."