[comp.sys.mac.misc] Looking for Appleworks -> Macintosh translation

elliot@ocf.berkeley.edu (Elliot Wilen) (10/09/90)

I believe that I can transfer files between Apple II floppies and a
Macintosh using Apple File Exchange, but does anyone know of a way of
translating Appleworks files into a format used by a Macintosh
application?

Reply by E-mail is preferred; I will summarize any response for the net.
Thanks in advance.

--Elliot Wilen

elliot@ocf.berkeley.edu		ucbvax!ocf!elliot	ELLIOT%OCF@UCBJADE
(Internet)			(uucp)			(BITNET)

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (10/09/90)

From article <1990Oct8.210952.13099@agate.berkeley.edu>, by elliot@ocf.berkeley.edu (Elliot Wilen):
> I believe that I can transfer files between Apple II floppies and a
> Macintosh using Apple File Exchange, but does anyone know of a way of
> translating Appleworks files into a format used by a Macintosh
> application?
>
> Reply by E-mail is preferred; I will summarize any response for the net.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Elliot Wilen
>
> elliot@ocf.berkeley.edu		ucbvax!ocf!elliot	ELLIOT%OCF@UCBJADE
> (Internet)			(uucp)			(BITNET)
MacWrite II 1.1 from Claris comes with a translator for AppleWorks which
allows you to both read and write AppleWorks Word Processing
files.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (10/11/90)

> I believe that I can transfer files between Apple II floppies and a
> Macintosh using Apple File Exchange, but does anyone know of a way of
> translating Appleworks files into a format used by a Macintosh
> application?

If you have MicroSoft Works, it comes with an Apple File Exchange Translator
called Works To Works, that converts Appleworks files to MicroSoft Works
files (and vice versa I guess, I never tried it).

Gary

---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct11.070443.375@clark.edu> gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) writes:
>If you have MicroSoft Works, it comes with an Apple File Exchange Translator
>called Works To Works, that converts Appleworks files to MicroSoft Works
>files (and vice versa I guess, I never tried it).

That is what you'd guess...but it doesn't!  The "Works-Works Transporter"
which MicroSoft provides will only go FROM AppleWorks TO Microsoft Works.
The other menu options are all "dimmed".